Black Ghost Knifefish - Strange Behavior

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
I find the BGK to be the MOST unusual, interesting, and downright 'strange' fish ever.

Mine learns new things that are apparently "fun" for him. A few weeks ago, he picked up this habit where he would slowly swim into a corner piece of PVC pipe (it's shaped like a "U"), and JOLT out the other side as fast as he could. He used to ram his head into thing really hard doing this, so I aptly started referring to him as "the fish that needs a helmet" (that is not his name though :grinno:).

Recently he started getting "bubble massages"... I have a canyon-looking rock with two large holes going through it, which is layed ontop of an airstone, so loads of bubbles are constantly coming out of the two holes in the rock. Well, I was watching him for a while one day, and saw him go over to the bubbles, and swim up them -- I didn't think much of this since BGK love bubbles -- but then he swam backwards, down the bubbles into one of the holes in the rock, and just "sat" there. It actually looked like he was sitting in the bubbles. He just stayed there with his head sticking up lounging, like a human would in a hot tub. I was cracking up... :ROFL:

Anyway, what are some of the odd behaviors your BGK has? What are the strange things it does?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've heard of these behaviors before. Seems like it would be fun to watch:D

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Not really...the oddest thing it does is swim vertically by the intake on the Emperor intake. And it'll shoot backwards fast from one side of the tank to another while it looks for food.

Tom the bomb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
My knife is with a red tail shark and 3 parrot cichlids so far. The tank is only 2 months since setting up and 1 month + 1 week since the fish came in. The BGK just likes to go head down and zoom across the sand. (I have a 1-inch layer of sand) another thing it does is hide in a hole of the huge fake coral reef for a while. The parrot cichlids like to poke at its tail. (No nipping or damage though) and the shark swims beside it always

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store