Black sand

MTowns

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm new to having sand as bottom substrate and my recent purchase came with a fine black sand so the question is, other than pulling it out and replacing does anyone have a tip on cleaning and vacuuming? I've been using my python but I know there has got to be a better way or d.i.y. adaptation. Thanks!

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
When I had sand I would rake it first to get the detritus out and then vac just above it. I had a thin sand bottom though.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gravel vacuuming is still the best way to clean it and making sure nothing gets trapped under it.

Reactions: twentyleagues

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Even if you are careful, when you gravel vac sand, some of the sand will go through the tube. Take this into consideration if you drain into a sink.

Reactions: Zanzag

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
You want a longer pipe and it takes some work but when you match it to the flow rate it means the sand is very clean, no gas pockets remaining and no wasted sand. Otherwise like the other member said, rake and then skim just above the surface to avoid sucking up the sand. I would first go over the surface once, then rake then go over again. But with the longer pipe it's so much faster and better.
Later
NCH

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I stir the sand then siphon the detritus off from there, otherwise restricting flow to a degree that it catches dirt but leaves sand behind :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store