Blackwater extract - Any definite benefits ?

Les Martin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
I recently set up an Altum biotope with some UniPac Okishii artificial rock and driftwood. After the initial tank fill the water was a nice amber colour from the tannins leeching from the driftwood. After a few weeks with water changes the tannins are now reducing. Has anyone found any definite benefits to using a blackwater extract ? I have a small - 250ml - bottle of JBL Tropol which I used on my last water change but it's fairly expensive at this size. I could buy a 5L jug which is considerably cheaper per ml but I have to import it directly from Germany as the UK distrubutor does not hold any stocks in this size. Or is it just an aesthetic thing ?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Tannins are associated with hampering microbial activity. I'd imagine that the really smart SA guys like ryansmith83 ryansmith83 could give you a better answer. It's hard to give a concrete answer while accounting for pH and stuff. If you appreciate the look, I've heard rooibos tea does a pretty good job, should be more affordable. You can also collect leaves and stuff... I've used peat moss cooked in a pot, it wasn't a fun process when you need to change a lot of water.

Les Martin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Tannins are associated with hampering microbial activity. I'd imagine that the really smart SA guys like ryansmith83 ryansmith83 could give you a better answer. It's hard to give a concrete answer while accounting for pH and stuff. If you appreciate the look, I've heard rooibos tea does a pretty good job, should be more affordable. You can also collect leaves and stuff... I've used peat moss cooked in a pot, it wasn't a fun process when you need to change a lot of water.
Thanks for your response. Water changes are 240L twice a week so I don't fancy doing the peat moss thing ! I'll look into Rooibos tea and see if I can find some locally.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You can peat directly to filters, in something that will hold it together. Boiling it would help it sink still. Rooibos seems to be an easier alternative

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store