blackworm question

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't find it. Hence the FAQ section...

So I recently added a bunch of clown loaches to my 180 gallon. They have proven to be extremely picky eaters, but actually seem quite healthy (they are active, their colors are bold, and they are starting to fatten up a bit on a blackworm diet).

My question is about the blackworms surviving in the aquarium. I put in a glob of them, and since the clown loaches are so non aggressive they don't go after them quickly. So the blackworms have plenty of time to wriggle around and dig in the sand (i have PFS as substrate). I see a bunch of blackworms have buried with about 1/4" sticking out. But, over time the number of tails sticking out goes down. So the actual question - when I see fewer blackworms sticking out of the sand does that mean the clowns are eating them, or does that mean they are digging deeper in to the sand such that I can't see them at all???

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
My guess is the clowns are searching for and eating the blackworms. I've also added live BW to a few tanks and seen that same BW behavior.

Adding an algae wafer near the substrate should also draw out any BW as they will feed on it unless of course one of your fish get to it first.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I would think the Clown Loaches are pulling them from the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store