Blind Cave Fish

darkness975

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
irgendwo
Greetings MFK community. I am a long term Blind Cave Fish fanatic :ROFL: Here is a picture I took of the only one of my Cavies that was swimming slow enough to attempt taking pictures of. I appologize for the quality, I am still trying to figure out my new camera. I am wondering about something though. There is a great deal of ambiguity regarding the difference between Astyanax mexicanus and Astyanax jordani. Many places note that there is a huge difference between these two fish which are both labled "Blind Cave Fish" but it doesn't really give a detailed explination. Does anyone know of somewhere that delves into that with more detail? I would like to know for certain which of the two Cave Fish I own :)

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Both are the same. I am 100% sure. You can get a lot of erroneous info over the web. I have confirmed with my older fish books from the 1970's. This fish used to be called Anoptichthys jordani. The scientific name then changed to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus, and finally the modern scientific name is Astyanax mexicanus. Some people then incorrectly use Astyanax jordani to describe the blind cave tetra.

I myself own 12 of these beautiful fish. If properly taken care of, they grow much larger than the 3" - 3.5" max you read in many websites. Many of my A. mexicanus are reaching the 5" mark!! In the wild, they have been reported to grow up to 6"s.

hope this helps.

Reactions: darkness975

wishbone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2010
CO
That's very interesting answer Framcosco just hope you link for more details..

darkness975

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
irgendwo
Whoa I forgot about this thread because no one had responded to it. Thanks for the info fram.

darkness975

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
irgendwo
Both are the same. I am 100% sure. You can get a lot of erroneous info over the web. I have confirmed with my older fish books from the 1970's. This fish used to be called Anoptichthys jordani. The scientific name then changed to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus, and finally the modern scientific name is Astyanax mexicanus. Some people then incorrectly use Astyanax jordani to describe the blind cave tetra.

I myself own 12 of these beautiful fish. If properly taken care of, they grow much larger than the 3" - 3.5" max you read in many websites. Many of my A. mexicanus are reaching the 5" mark!! In the wild, they have been reported to grow up to 6"s.

hope this helps.
I am not surprised. Just like so many other species that end up stunted by improper husbandry.

At present I do not have any of these awe inspiring fish but I would like to. If I am able to find any nearby I would be tempted to snag them. I'd have to set up a tank for them though.

I used to keep some in an unfiltered and unheated tank. They can tolerate much lower temperatures than most tetras. i'd think they would be okay even into the low 60s, and in fact I have read that they prefer the mid to low 60s for breeding.

In my current place, aside from a furnace malfunction that would plunge the place into coldness in winter, my only concern would be the water. It is from a water line (as opposed to a well like most of the town) but unlike my home town I have not been able to field test this water. In my old hometown the water was safe to use straight from the tap. I never added any chlorine removers or anything to the water , just connected to the sink and poured it in the tanks for water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store