Bloated Whiptail catfish

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
I think I covered everything but ask away if I missed something.

The fish...
Noticed one of my royal whiptail catfish is very bloated, first seen about 10 hours ago. Seems fine otherwise, still eating, maybe not roaming around as much. It looks like dropsy but without noticeable pinecone appearance of scales. Unknown if it is female or male, it is about 7cms.

I have not tried any medications. I did a 160 litre water change and vacuumed the substrate after I found her bloated.

The tank

410 litres, with sump filter. Small wave maker pump for extra water movement. Javafern, crypts, java moss, water lily.

Other tank mates...
One whiptail catfish about 8cms.
Two whiptail catifsh 5 cms.
Four Angelfish 6cms
One keyhole cichlid 8cm.
Eight Rummynose tetra 3-4cm
One random emperor tetra and a random cardinal tetra.

Water change once a week around 40%. Vacuum the sump and clean once a month and Turkey baster spot clean the substrate a couple of times a week. Water changes are done with tap water, not aged. I use Prime when changing water.

Tank has been running a couple of years, sand substrate 2-4cm deep.

Readings before the water change I did.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm
pH 6.8
Temp 25 degrees Celsius

The whiptails are the newest addition to the tank.

Lastly they are fed a combination of veggies, algea wafers, Nori, and they will clean up left over flake or other bits the cichlids/tetra miss. Cichlid and tetra are fed 2 small meals a day. I put the whiptails dinner in before lights out and remove any leftovers in the morning.

And a picture, I will try and get a better one if I can.
20200604_231009.jpg20200605_101532.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Maybe a female with eggs? If she is ever on the glass, try snapping a pic of her belly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
If she is eating, try small pieces of raw cucumber.
They aren't too keen on the cucumber but I'll throw some in and see how it goes.

I was thinking of fasting the rest of the fish today just to make sure it isn't that the catfish are getting too many high protein leftovers.

Two of the other whiptails are hanging around her today a lot so I'll keep an eye out for eggs or the chance to take a snap shot of their undersides. 20200605_114100.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looks like a gravid female like D deeda stated.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Does anyone else find it odd that a female is sexually mature at like 2 inches?

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Does anyone else find it odd that a female is sexually mature at like 2 inches?
7cm is 3 inches....but Yes, very odd!
This is why I was concerned it might be something wrong with the health of the fish. I was under the impression these guys didn't really breed until they were larger/older.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Whiptail is still bloated looking, and colour has darkened and become more copper toned, in addition to that I've not seen it move off it's favourite bit of driftwood since a few hours after posting this. The others come up and it will wave a threatening tail at them until they move away. Unsure if it is eating still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store