Blood Parrot/Red Devil/Flowerhorn Questions

Noa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Michigan
I'm not big into flowerhorns, or cichlids in general actually, but I would like to know more about them. Is a flowerhorn a texas x red devil? Or a blood parrot x red devil? The latter seems unlikely but I've seen it claimed a few times online.
I've heard that blood parrots are a midas x redhead cichlid OR red devil x severum. Also, what is the difference between a blood parrot and a king kong parrot?
I've also heard that almost all red devils are actually hybrids themselves, with midas cichlids. I may sound ignorant but I just can't seem to find conclusive information about these fish. SO, if anyone can help clear this up for me that would be spectacular.

Jdmxluv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Koreatown
yea i feel you man. when i first started the hobby i was just at clueless as you were. :D but its all in the learning process. and there are good people here that will help you with you questions.

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
They are way more complicated than what most people tend to think. I myself don't even truly know exactly how they were really formed. I just know the basic of the fish that was used in the process of creating them.

glenbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
England
There is a good possibility Blood Parrots are just deformed Midas, loads of sites and breeders say this.

Flowerhorns are a mix of diff Amphilophus, Texas, Vieja etc, not sure exactly.

Cronksfish

Feeder Fish
May 25, 2017
I have a red devil which is 6in with a 4in blood parrot and a 4in convict in a 90gal and the red devil chases them around but only when they go in front of eachother and i have a 6in red tail catfish all in the same tank just provide a bunch of hiding spots for the smaller fish n u will be fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store