Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I noticed these pinkish blotches a couple days ago on my phantom redtail after buying it a couple weeks ago. What can I do to treat this?

IMG-20230308-WA0013.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Could these visible color differences be simply due to the skull being void of pigment and thus not being totally opaque?

If these weren't there before and are indeed abnormal, I'd guess these are physical abrasions, e.g. from the fish trying to stick its head into or under something. Or less likely, caused by another fish biting the RTC in these two places to defend its space.

Megamonsters

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2019
Could these visible color differences be simply due to the skull being void of pigment and thus not being totally opaque?

If these weren't there before and are indeed abnormal, I'd guess these are physical abrasions, e.g. from the fish trying to stick its head into or under something. Or less likely, caused by another fish biting the RTC in these two places to defend its space.
Wasn't there before, the blotches are on my other one too and on his body as well but I couldn't get a photo of him. The fish act healthy but uts concerning regardless

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Wasn't there before, the blotches are on my other one too and on his body as well but I couldn't get a photo of him. The fish act healthy but uts concerning regardless
Is that an Oscar, they are very territorial and attack other fish, pink spots usually mean bacterial infection, phantoms do also get some pink on them I think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store