Blue acara

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Those are large Columbia tetra. They look like blue piranha, and will prey on the acara fry. But you have enough rock work and a few will make it. How big are the tetra and do they school or fight among themselves?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Thank you
All but the two biggest were actually born in the tank. The two biggest have to be pushing 6 years now but small worms, grubs, and frozen krill/plankton as their food and that lovely red really pops.
yeah columbian tetra. The largest are about 3 inches rest are about 2-2.5 they school together loosely and as long theres more then 10 they only occasionally chase each other. But once something yummy hits the water they come like lightning from everywhere

Last edited:

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
As far as the tetra eating fry i cant say cause at one point i was up to about 40 in the tank cause at the time them, my opaline gourami, and my threadfin acara would not touch any of the fry

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Heres a picture. You can see some babies in the upper right. Poor gold rams didnt last long got the threadfin soon after and the babies kept coming. Finally stopped when i got my SA bumblebee cats. No more unattended young.1368083

Last edited:

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
IME, cichlid are very good at defending fry against other cichlid, but helpless with Tetra. Cichlid learn to respect and stay out of brooding cichlid territory. Tetra are fearless, fast and attack in number like a wolf pack. They are main predator of cichlid fry in the wild.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
So far with the first batch of fry the tetras were uninterested in them. The acaras mostly had to chase away my silly cory cats in their endless roaming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store