Blue crabs?

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Has anyone kept any blue crabs (Callinectes sapidus) in a brackish tank?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just in a brackish pot with some Old Bay.......;) Sorry I can't help you beyond that.

Reactions: Owens

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Blue crabs are being provided to farmers with farm ponds to clean up their ponds of unwanted vegetation and organic matter. The crabs are able to survive in these freshwater ponds from end-of-winter through to the next winter.
They'll survive in brackish conditions.
The big question becomes; why would anyone want them in aquariums? They're active hunters that will kill any fish they're housed with. They're territorial and will fight other blue crabs for space and hide-outs. They're a large crab species that can lift tank lids and escape. And, they'll eat any and all plants in an aquarium; real or fake.

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Well gee, Oddball, why would anyone on this site want to keep large, destructive, aquatic predators?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
They don't do well in multiple numbers in aquariums. I've tried several times in tanks up to 900 gals and always suffered losses. These crabs are opportunistic and cannibalistic. More so in warmer waters (including normal room temperature). Best plan to keep this species is one to a tank. And that tank needs to be escape proof.
Tip: Don't leave a thermometer or so much as an airline in the tank. They will destroy most items simply from investigating them as possible food sources.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
I see these guys all the time I go in the flats to collect(I don't keep much except for blue leg hermits, several snails, and other janitors if I need them). I let them go, for obvious reasons having a nano. All I know is that they get big, they have a nasty temper, and can swim out of the tank. They are not worth it in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store