Blue dophin Blue Moorii Cichlids sex?

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
I just bought 3 Blue dolphin cichlids and was wondering if there is any clue or way to sex these? heard that both males and females have the humps and usually males have larger ones but was wondering if they can be sexed at this age? by their fins? I have attached pictures. First 2 are of the first one and pictures 3 to 6 are of the second and third ones. The first one pictured in first 2 pictures is the most dominant dolphin for sure. It seems to peck at every other fish similar sized to it or smaller. It is one of the most dominant fish of the whole tank 3rd in line after the 2 biggest fish in the tank. I'm hoping to have 1 male and 2 females but unsure. Any information would be appreciated thanks.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
You probably have it right, first one male, second two females, but impossible to say with certainty unless you vent them, or wait for them to spawn. I've kept & bred this species for many years, just got rid of my last group recently due to a tank downsize. Good luck with them.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Juvenile moori look the same and cannot be sexed. I don’t think you can vent them until they are sexually matured and ready to spawn, but by then, venting is not necessary. Older males will grow larger size and hump, but otherwise no difference from females.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The fish shown in the pics appear to already be sexually mature, and ready to spawn. Venting shouldn't be an issue, but I think that time will tell soon enough.

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
I think i'm going to wait until they get bigger as i'm not sure on venting them. I tried to guess based on their dorsal and anal fins but i don't think that is always accurate as males can have short fins and females can have long pointy fins?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah no, going by fin shape & length is not going to always be accurate. Mine have always spawned by the time the females were just over 3".

Reactions: tlindsey

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Oh wow thats pretty early for them to spawn at that size. So today i bought a 4th blue dolphin and upon putting this one in the first dolphin and the second bottom number 3 one in the second set of pictures started to circle each other and fight. So I'm guessing this one is likely a female and first and 3rd could be males trying to fight for dominance and for the females?

The first one won and he still chases the sub dominate one around. They also chase the new 4th one a bit and same with the other one. They all seem to occupy different areas of the tank though I hope at least a pair emerges and spawn, would love to see them spawning. Did your dophins ever do this? males chasing females around and males fighting circling?

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My females would squabble as well, even chasing each other from end to end of the tank, so still nothing definitive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store