Bluegill. Columnaris/ cotton?

Joecatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2016
Hello

As you can see from pictures Below my Bluegill (Kevin) has some major issues.

He developed them about four weeks ago. I have been doing water changes and gravel vacs, and using Aquarium salt with water changes. His symptoms do not appear to be getting better. He is very active, and has had no changes in appetite at all.

Tank is a 120 gallon. Fluval FX6 and HOB 75 Gallon.

Tankmate is a Flathead catfish. No signs of any Illness on Flathead catfish. I have had Flathead for about 3 years, and Bluegill 2 years.

I realize that tank is overcrowded and will be getting my friends 280 when I move out of apartment soon. I make sure I do water changes every week at about 40 or 50%, this is pre-Illness of Kevin.

I am hoping some you can help me identify and clear up issue.
I have a 29 gallon hospital tank that is being cleaned out now. I have purchased Melafix, and Maracyn 2, but have not started any treatments as I wanted to wait and see what you guys think. I have purchased Stress Coat and API Quick Start for hospital tank, but have not set anything up as I have never needed a hospital tank before. I really have no experience medicating fish so would love some help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Kevin 1.jpg Kevin 2.jpg Kevin 3.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Joecatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2016
Sorry maybe I didnt make clear my questions

What exactly is this fungus?

Should I treat in hospital tank with Meflafix and/or Maracyn 2, ?

Should I start with Melafix as it seems to be more basic and see what happens?

And please give suggestions IF YOU THINK MEIDICATION IS APPROPIATE with medications as I have never used either.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Don't bother with meds,just do some water changes and get your fish into a bigger tank asap,if I had to guess I would say the flathead attacked him.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

stephanw1974

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Sea salt, find it at grocery store. Don't know if bluegill can take the salt but mollies and swordtails did when I did it. First day I treated in 20 gallon I used 4 tablespoons. Then everyday I threw more in almost everyday. Took about a week. Might wanna turn heater completely off.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store