BN Plecos and diatoms?

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
1BFE2F14-A95D-4A3C-8863-32D1E45DAF14.jpegHow come my 2 bristlenose plecos won’t eat this diatom algae that’s growing on top of these two rocks? I thought they loved distoms?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
View attachment 1386894How come my 2 bristlenose plecos won’t eat this diatom algae that’s growing on top of these two rocks? I thought they loved distoms?
It’s hit or miss with bn plecos and diatoms. Better chance with otos and nerite snails.

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
Well when I first put them in they absolutely devoured the diatoms clean but recently they’ve stopped eating the large areas of diatoms. they still suck on the gravel and little bits on the glass but they seem to be staying away from the heavy amounts of it. Would ottos stay alive with the American cichlids I have? how many can I put in the 75g? If they don’t poop as much as plecos and do a better job eating diatoms I’m all in

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well when I first put them in they absolutely devoured the diatoms clean but recently they’ve stopped eating the large areas of diatoms. they still suck on the gravel and little bits on the glass but they seem to be staying away from the heavy amounts of it. Would ottos stay alive with the American cichlids I have? how many can I put in the 75g? If they don’t poop as much as plecos and do a better job eating diatoms I’m all in
Probably wouldn’t survive that tank. Would keep the ancistrus and manually remove it.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Not to be rude but thats why expecting a fish to take care of tank maintenance isn’t the best idea...

Whether its algae, diatoms or something else, sometimes the best way to deal with it is to manually get in there and clean it or to find the route cause of the problem and try tackle it from there...

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
I’m not the expecting the fish to do all the maintenance I clean off everything every weekend so don’t make assumptions. Since Ottos won’t work are there any supplements I can add to the take to fight against the diatoms? Also this past week looks like a pinkish type of algae has started to grow on the glass any idea

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’m not the expecting the fish to do all the maintenance I clean off everything every weekend so don’t make assumptions. Since Ottos won’t work are there any supplements I can add to the take to fight against the diatoms? Also this past week looks like a pinkish type of algae has started to grow on the glass any idea
No supplement to remove diatoms. Can add some phosban in ur filter to remove silicates. Help to reduce the amount. Other option is add a algae scrubber (link below) to help outcompete the diatoms.

Sounds like red algae is present in ur tank. Once need to cont with scrubbing and manual removal. Algae scrubber will also work here. The plecos won’t eat red algae.

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
Well my BN just ate a big spot of the red algae so maybe it’s something else but he ate it. I’ll look into the Algae scrubber !

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well my BN just ate a big spot of the red algae so maybe it’s something else but he ate it. I’ll look into the Algae scrubber !
Good luck with it. Hope the bn pleco has a taste for it now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store