body swaying meaning

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
watching these 2 cichlids on either side of a barrier and they each do this thing where they turn their side to the divider or sometimes turn completely around 180 degrees and their body does a sweeping motion side to side tail flapping...the rest is just flaring and biting the divider.does this sound like breeding behavior or just simply aggression/dominance.ive seen this before but only between male and female

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Could be either honestly.
What are they? Species and sex that’s your answer.
Both same sex, probably just dominant display.
Pair , prelude to possibly spawning

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Could even be both honestly. Your talking about your male green Texas and female midevil project right? If so it could very easily be both. Allot of time I've noticed CA/SA cichlids tend to square up against each other before deciding to breed or not. In my experience usually a female won't breed with a cowardly male so as long as he is the aggressor it should give ya the best chance of breeding em.

Reactions: tlindsey

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
Could even be both honestly. Your talking about your male green Texas and female midevil project right? If so it could very easily be both. Allot of time I've noticed CA/SA cichlids tend to square up against each other before deciding to breed or not. In my experience usually a female won't breed with a cowardly male so as long as he is the aggressor it should give ya the best chance of breeding em.
well that seems to be the issue is i have 2 green texas,just have no idea which one the male is since the smaller one does have the dorsal spot yes but is waay more aggressive than the larger one and does all the shimmering and tail flapping when around the large one.the small texas is the one that reacts to the midevil,squaring up and doing that little dance or whatever,,they both do it...if i put the large texas in with the midevil nothing happens, he/she kinda just ignores it.90% sure the midevil is in fact female just from the vent alone but has the attitude and aggression of a male.looked up videos of male green texas and looks like they can have the dorsal spot as well as the female not have one so idk

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the book,The Cichlid Fishes, nature grand experiment in evolution, it is perceived an act that indicates conflict, an act of pre-fighting, or spawning.
the cichlid "it passes deep sideways undulations down its body while breaking with its pectral fins to resist the foreword force; this behaviour is called tail-beating, and may be done in a snap-whip fashion.
The result is an imposing display and one that washes the opponent with a hefty flow of water that may be perceived as sound".
In the act of spawning it may be used to access the suitability of a mate.
"All of this behaviour indicates conflict.
Each fish has positioned itself so that is prepared either to flee or attack.
Fleeing would be done by means of powerful body undulations in which the tail swings from side to side.
Thus tail-beating reflects the urge to escape from dangerous opponent.
At the same time, the fish extends its pectoral finish a breaking action that counters the undulations, reflecting the motivation to stay put and attack the opponent."
in this act they are unconventionally cooperating
"they would be supplying and obtaining valuable information about their opponent while minimizing the possibility of incurring costly injury."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store