Bottom bracing in glass aquarium OK for Rays?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I have a quick question, I am going to be building a glass tank for some rays, 8x4x20 inch. I always like to put some strips of glass on the bottom sheet of glass for some extra bite for the silicon. I would sand down the corners of the strips so they won't be sharp but will this bother the rays in anyway? I will have sand. Thanks

Will be my first ray tank :)

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
i think as bare, it'll be a bit difficult for stingrays - like having humps on a road. i have my tank with extra railings on the corners and even middle as you can see on the pic. When I got the tank, a friend just refurbish/revived this unit and we didn't touch the railings as it may be for structural purposes - ive heard of glass flexing on big tanks. all four sides also have extra strips of glass holding the sides for better attachment to the base.

i did observed the rays when i started the set up and they seem to have issue on the humps and i've decided to add garnet sands on it to make the floor even for them. Since you will be adding sand, i think you wont have any problem.

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes that bottom bracing you have is similar to what I'm talking about but mine will just be strips along the perimeter of the floor.

How many rays could I house in a 8x4.5?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
It won't be an issue. They are fine with rocks and other stuff in the tanks they will be fine with a bump in the road every now and again. And sand will smooth it out.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
You'll be fine, I have those strips around the perimeter of the bottom and it doesn't affect them. I have sand too, but they blow it away around the perimeter and it still isn't an issue.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
You can also add acrylic strips on the outside (bottom and top) of the tank to hide the extra strip of glass youll be using. This enhances looks as well. Im using shiny black acrylic to match the steel stand - 2xwider on top to hide the waterline as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store