Bottom Dweller Stock for 75 gallon Central/South American Tank

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
Hey all, my Jewel Cichlid is becoming a problem, He’s marked his territory on pretty much the whole front side of the tank, and every time my JD comes around front Jewel will try to lip lock with him. I’m worried that leaving just these two in the tank until I get back from vacation will make the Jewel even more dominant and by the time I add the other cichlids in the tank the Jewel will terrorize them as well. What should I do? Jack Dempsey also has yet to eat. probably because Jewel is stressing him out so much.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Jewels are african riverine and crazy agressive. Would have advised against it with what else you still want as well. Its not a suprise that its stressing the jd out.

Reactions: Niki_up

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
It’s AFRICAN?! O no I’ve been played. I tried so hard to keep it Central but the fish store I got it from I told them all the fish I was going to get and they said the Jewel would be fine with them. I guess they don’t know anything about there job. So you think it would be a good move to remove the jewel from the tank?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Very much african. Not rift lake so water parameters compatible with centrals but temperament wise probably not. Your lfs just wanted to sell you some fish. Other members on here have given very sound stocking advice for you. Probably time to take it over advice from your lfs.

Reactions: Niki_up

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
Alright i’ll take out the jewel, and I’ve taken y’alls advice. if I hadn’t i would have a severums and green terrors in the tank right now lol.

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
Back from Vacation, added the remaining fish and they are all doing great with eachother, I did end up getting a GT but I think I lucked out personality wise because so far he’s at the bottom of the pecking order. The Nips on GT tail were already there when I bought him, not the doing of my other fish. (Pecking order = Convict—>JD—>Firemouth—> GT) However today when I got back from work Firemouth and Convict we’re getting into it against eachother, but overall they are all pretty calm against eachother, no bad lip lock kind of fighting just occasional get out of my territory chasing. They are all currently about 2-2.5 inches1384190138419113841921384193

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store