Bottom feeder tankmates for Oscars

OscarHook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2005
Arkansas
Okay so i took your guys advice and purchased a 30g for my loaches, got 3 more and now need something to go with them and now need bottom feeder that will clean up the oscars' messes after they eat! I would like something from where the oscars live, going for the Amazon river kinda look. Other than that something that stays around 1' and can go alone, although 2 or 3 now would be okay for now, until i upgrade. So i need fish that would go good with loaches, color-wise, would like to stick with cichlids if possible, and then a bottom-feeder for oscars. Dont worry about some suggestions, i work at a Petsmart, and my best-friends dad owns an Exotic Fish Store, so i can get just about anything you suggest. Thanks for the help guys, this site and you people ROCK!

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
Depending on the size of your tank, both now and future, and what kind of loaches you have, for tankmates for oscars via ground cover, I usually recommend Platydoras costatus (the striped raphael) or Agamysis pectinifrons (the spotted raphael). Both are nice looking catfish, and as doradids, they tend to be rather tough when it comes to taking abuse.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I have a pictus cat with my oscar.hes fast interesting and very good at cleaning up.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
For the oscars, I would say something like a pictus cat or silvertip shark would be good choices. 4-line pictus and Ornate pictus would be good choices, as well..

Angelfish would be a good choice for a Cichlid to go with your loaches.. Maybe some Dwarf Cichlids, like Rams or Kribs? With these cichlids you could also throw in non-aggressive fish such as a school of tetras for color and movement. Maybe a pair of Firemouths? Most other cichlids get too aggressive for that small of a tank..

Hope thats a start!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hiya Oscar hook, welcome aboard, If you want a couple small cichlids to go with the loaches try 1 male and 2-3 female apisto cockatoos.

klynne99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Ohio
I have a sailfin in with my oscars. He does a good job cleaning up and they don't mess with him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store