Boyd's VitaChem vs. Flintstones Chewables?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
10 or less
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
81-90%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Okay, maybe not necessarily Flintstones Chewables, but vitamins aimed at human consumption but used instead for aquarium fish. Anybody done any research or experimentation in this regard?

I am moving away from the joyous task of making my own DIY gel foods, complete with vitamin supplementation, since my gradually-decreasing collection of fish makes the mess and effort less and less easy to put up with. I've soaked potential thiaminase-containing foods like Fathead Minnows and Smelt in VitaChem, but I wonder just how much is actually absorbed into the food and thus ingested by the intended animal as opposed to how much just rinses off into the aquarium water.

Back when I was heavily into reptile breeding, I purchased powdered reptile vitamin supplements, loaded up empty gelatin capsules from the drug store and slipped the little vitamin bombs under the skin of frozen/thawed mice. Done it a few times with food items for fish as well, but the last time I did this my granddaughters were visiting and I was eyeing the little multivitamin chewables my daughter insists they take daily. Why make up my own vitamin "insertables" when human multivitamins are so readily and cheaply available?

So...a frozen/thawed smelt with a little orange Barney Rubble vitamin gummie jammed down its throat..eaten by a predatory catfish or other large aquarium fish; sound reasonable? Any thoughts and comments are eagerly awaited. :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A gummie portioned into very small pieces, maybe. Otherwise, far too much of certain nutrients for such a small animal, compared to a human. I know some folks have done this, I just wouldn’t advise it.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A gummie portioned into very small pieces, maybe. Otherwise, far too much of certain nutrients for such a small animal, compared to a human. I know some folks have done this, I just wouldn’t advise it.
I see where it sounds like I meant an entire little gummie...I really should have said a "little bit of" a gummie. I'm not even a fan of people taking vitamins, and much less so of jamming them into our aquarium fish.

Cabin fever, exacerbated by another winter storm in the offing...:)

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
+18 c here by the weekend. Less time online, more time outside …..soon. 😎

• Love
Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com