BP Shyness is ridiculous.....

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I’ve read that BP’s can be shy at first, but this is just ridiculous.
How long does it typically take for these guys to come out of hiding? I’ve only had mine a few days, but they’re insanely skittish, elusive and shy. Thanks in advance.

Tank Info:
Well-established 40G breeder with perfect water parameters.
2 x BP’s (roughly 3” each)
6 x Red Eye Tetras (to serve as dithers)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Depends. Probably a few days to a week or two. Really not that long compared to other cichlids.
They do like to go through phases though. Mine is usually always out and about but will go a few days or a week really skittish then snap out of it. Mines been going on a skittish phase for a few weeks this time though.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Depends. Probably a few days to a week or two. Really not that long compared to other cichlids.
They do like to go through phases though. Mine is usually always out and about but will go a few days or a week really skittish then snap out of it. Mines been going on a skittish phase for a few weeks this time though.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m hoping the recent addition of the Tetras (as dithers) helps them overcome their shyness. Right now, they’re terrified of anything that moves in the room.

Reactions: Deadeye

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks for the feedback. I’m hoping the recent addition of the Tetras (as dithers) helps them overcome their shyness. Right now, they’re terrified of anything that moves in the room.
If the lights are on above the tank, then keep it off for now (assuming this is not a planted tank). Fish see less outside of the tank when the overhead light is on.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
If the lights are on above the tank, then keep it off for now (assuming this is not a planted tank). Fish see less outside of the tank when the overhead light is on.
I’ve tried both, and neither seem to make much of a difference. I guess I’ll keep them off for now.

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Every fish is different. My current bp hid maybe a day. I have had some that went several months before they stopped hiding.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Every fish is different. My current bp hid maybe a day. I have had some that went several months before they stopped hiding.
Thanks. They’re quite a bit better today. Even though they’re still pretty skittish, I can tell that the dithers are helping.

Reactions: ad88

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Mine never stopped hiding, it's been almost a year now. On some days they do get out and act completely different but still spooky.

I even tried dither fish, 11 tiger barbs, with no benefits. Also my pair keeps laying eggs.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Mine never stopped hiding, it's been almost a year now. On some days they do get out and act completely different but still spooky.

I even tried dither fish, 11 tiger barbs, with no benefits. Also my pair keeps laying eggs.
Wow. If that’s the case with mine, I’ll be trading them in for anything that breathes underwater.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
BPs are really a grab bag of personality. I had great luck kicking the temp up to 80-81 from 77
Mind you I only have ever been able to keep a BP solo in a 55 gallon tank. But to your point about dithers I was able to get a hold of 3 fantail goldfish and it rounded out the tank perfectly.
I see my BP daily, it’s almost to the point she will take it out on the goldfish if I am not in my office at the same time I was yesterday. Love the personality but it takes time to really get the fish comfortable with their surroundings and you.
All I can tell you, is either you’re in it to find out how the fish will behave or the fish will do as it pleases regardless what you would like to have happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store