brachyplatystoma rousseauxii Grow out thread.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
After waiting what seemed an age, I've finally got another. Almost a year later.
Unfortunately, a heater malfunction last year cost me my first rousseauxii, which is grown from around 2"-7".

So I picked this guy up the weekend off my good friends down at silksworth aquatics.

Believe this fella come from Surinam.

Alittle under weight for my liking, I like my cats to be thick set. But I started him off with 10 neons as feeders, not something I tend to do.

But as small fish, I wanted to make sure there was food that wouldn't muck the water up being left in. After 5 hours on his second day, he had ate
8 of them, which is great news. He already looks great. How I've missed owning one of these. Very intreasting to watch how his behaviour changes when he's hunting. I did grab a short video of him doing so, that I will add on here at a later date.

He's currently in a 85L grow out, untill he hits around 7/8". Them he will go in the spare 8x4x2 on his own as the show piece in the living room.

Here's a few pictures, from day 1 to day 3 to show how he's come along already. Now just to wait about 3 years for him to grow a half decent size. Lol.

IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7233.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice!

In my experience with these fish, keeping them solo is one of the most important keys to success... or with the most benign of tank mates possible.

Of course, my miserable experience with them (had even 6 at some point) is yet to last over a year or two. Perhaps when bigger, the rule I found for myself can be relaxed some.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Nice!

In my experience with these fish, keeping them solo is one of the most important keys to success... or with the most benign of tank mates possible.

Of course, my miserable experience with them (had even 6 at some point) is yet to last over a year or two. Perhaps when bigger, the rule I found for myself can be relaxed some.
Yes. I plan to keep him alone. Maybe when he's large I might mix him in with others. But I've only ever seen one get a half decent size with tank mates. Mainly Arowana.

Hoping to find some time to pick up some foam Inserts as I've been told, this helps them massively from bending there faces.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Hoping to find some time to pick up some foam Inserts as I've been told, this helps them massively from bending there faces.
following

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
They’re beautiful fish, can you have any tankmates with them at all and what’s there max size as I’ve read 6’

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes. I plan to keep him alone. Maybe when he's large I might mix him in with others. But I've only ever seen one get a half decent size with tank mates. Mainly Arowana.

What's a half decent size? How big and how old was the fish?

Yes, if one can pad the walls of their tank, it will help tremendously to keep them alive and to keep them from injuring themselves.

They’re beautiful fish, can you have any tankmates with them at all and what’s there max size as I’ve read 6’
You can have tank mates but I've found it'd be much easier if they were kept solo when small because of their dart-prone and skittish nature.

The max size may be debatable but in general is 192 cm = 6'4".

Reactions: Bertie07

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
What's a half decent size? How big and how old was the fish?

Yes, if one can pad the walls of their tank, it will help tremendously to keep them alive and to keep them from injuring themselves.

You can have tank mates but I've found it'd be much easier if they were kept solo when small because of their dart-prone and skittish nature.

The max size may be debatable but in general is 192 cm = 6'4".

Sorry viktor, I explained that Abit poor.

What I was saying, was I'm yet to see one privetly owned over 3feet.

I agree with being kept alone when small in my last experience. I tried to keep him my old one in with some other bits I had growing up. Made him spook a lot.

I've got some large sponge filter pads that I could cut to size and cover all the walls of the tank minus the viewing front of the tank. That's the plan I'm going for.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I couldn't really tell you a max size in captivity, I've only heard of one large one around 5' over Europe. I have a picture some where of it. But the aquarium it's in is a rediclous size. If I had to guess, I'd except around 4.5' in captivity.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I've been away for sometime. Had someone feeding the cats.

Came back and my goodness, he's grown. Like seriously grown for these type of fish.

Must be something in the water here, as the l.Pictus has chunked out again aswell. I've been away a lot recently so I haven't had chance to watch them. Will start a l.picturs growth thread separate soon.

IMG_7340.JPG IMG_7341.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store