Brackish Goby Setup

NoobAquarist

Fire Eel
Original poster
MFK Member
I decided to get some more tanks and make them brackish. My number 1 pick is a knight goby. I'm in FL where the water is quite hard so that shouldn't be an issue. There are not too many resources to be found on brackish setups on the internet as brackish setups are not too common in the hobby. From what I've gathered anubias barteri are quite salt-tolerant. I will have the salinity at about 1.006 sg with 1 knight goby in a 30 with driftwood and the aforementioned anubias and a sandy substrate. I don't know what to keep it with as I heard these guys are not terribly active and not terribly good eaters. I'm afraid to have mollies in there as I will be feeding the goby brine shrimp and he will probably get out-competed. Other than that I can't think of any other brackish fish that wouldn't bother the goby.

Would this be ok? And what kind of filtration should I use?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hornwort, bacopa and hygrophila will work. Gotta usually add separately in a freshwater setup and add salt little by little till the salinity is reaches the target.

Would suggest monos, archers, and scats.

NoobAquarist

Fire Eel
Original poster
MFK Member
Hornwort can tolerate salt too? I love hornwort because you can make a nice planted tank in about 3 days with one plant lol. Problem is they can release chemicals that harm other plants if they are rivals for growth. Really only thing suitable to go with them is anubias because it won't steal their thunder and if it does it's really tough. If hornwort can tolerate salt too ima put it in all my tanks, fresh or brackish.

kno4te

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It can but with slow acclimation as u add salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store