Breeder Tanks and Substrate Questions

excaliber

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2019
SW Idaho
I've spent quite a bit of time reading this section but it's still unclear exactly how to go about setting up breeder tanks for Angelfish, EBA and Gold Rams.

Most of the Angelfish Breeder tanks I see are mostly 20 gal tall size tanks with a bare glass bottom with a piece of slate and very little decorations along with a Sponge Filter.

What do you do recommend for the Electric Blue Acara? I have a 40 Breeder setup with an HOB and Sponge Filter and just a glass bottom. Should this tank have PFS as a substrate instead of bare glass?

I have another 40 Gal setup for the Gold Rams but was wondering if they would be better off in a tall 20 or 29 Tall due to their smaller size? Would they like PFS as a substrate too instead of the bare glass bottom?
I was just wondering how breeding pairs would like the bare setup as opposed to a nicer setup with Substrate and maybe some plants and rocks?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've spent quite a bit of time reading this section but it's still unclear exactly how to go about setting up breeder tanks for Angelfish, EBA and Gold Rams.

Most of the Angelfish Breeder tanks I see are mostly 20 gal tall size tanks with a bare glass bottom with a piece of slate and very little decorations along with a Sponge Filter.

What do you do recommend for the Electric Blue Acara? I have a 40 Breeder setup with an HOB and Sponge Filter and just a glass bottom. Should this tank have PFS as a substrate instead of bare glass?

I have another 40 Gal setup for the Gold Rams but was wondering if they would be better off in a tall 20 or 29 Tall due to their smaller size? Would they like PFS as a substrate too instead of the bare glass bottom?
I was just wondering how breeding pairs would like the bare setup as opposed to a nicer setup with Substrate and maybe some plants and rocks?

It's all a personal preference. I like substrate in the aquarium with breeding pair. No substrate for fry aquarium. I would use the 29gal for the extra 6inches.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
As shy fish like your rams may do better with a substrate. The reason some people do not use a substrate is they don`t want any detritus in there for water quality. I agree with tlindsey, I like gravel with everything except fry. Some fry are so small they can get into the gravel and die there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store