Breeding a Catfish in a 29G

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
in my opinion you won’t be able to breed upside down cats and bumblebees both together in a 10g. Also, I assume you mean one of the South American microglanis types and not the Asian type which simply would not fit a 10g tank. (They could eat your corys too) .
Forget breeding Pictus if you don’t have access to hormone treatment.
Think you are doing the right thing putting many of the bigger cats in the larger tank and picking one type to try to breed in the smaller tank, providing they are a small fish.
to start with, pick something which has been bred before and breed them ( like Corys or bristlenose plecs). Then, having done that, move onto more challenging cats like the bumblebees, shadow cats or even banjo cats.
The more expensive plecs could give a good return but require a bit of outlay to start with which is why it’s good to start easy and get the basics in place and confidence first.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
in my opinion you won’t be able to breed upside down cats and bumblebees both together in a 10g. Also, I assume you mean one of the South American microglanis types and not the Asian type which simply would not fit a 10g tank. (They could eat your corys too) .
Forget breeding Pictus if you don’t have access to hormone treatment.
Think you are doing the right thing putting many of the bigger cats in the larger tank and picking one type to try to breed in the smaller tank, providing they are a small fish.
to start with, pick something which has been bred before and breed them ( like Corys or bristlenose plecs). Then, having done that, move onto more challenging cats like the bumblebees, shadow cats or even banjo cats.
The more expensive plecs could give a good return but require a bit of outlay to start with which is why it’s good to start easy and get the basics in place and confidence first.
I appreciate the advice, I do like the looks of plecos, but the waste they produce is when I back out. how does this sound:

75g:
3 cuckoo catfish
4 pictus
1 spotted raphael cat

50g:
gulper cat

29g
gold laser and albino cory cats for breeding

10g
the cory cat fry when hatched

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That actually sounds like a very good set up. I would do it myself.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'd keep the first spawn, sell the second, and see just how many pairs you have in the 29 after that. I'd keep enough spawns until I have a full tank of breeding pairs and then start selling the spawns. After a while get a 20 long or a few and repeat the process until they all are full of breeding fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store