Breeding Arowana's

Moiz4got

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2019
Mumbai
Hey Guys,

This is my first post and i have been curious on this topic. I own 7 Aro's, Yes in 3 different tanks, was keen to know if i would breed on of my pairs.

I Have RTG - 2 , Red Chilly - 1, Silver - 3, Jardini - 1

I have been hearing from many people as well as local LFS that the asian arowana's which are avaialble in the market as treaded to not reproduce.Many have tried but none have got success yet as the rumor says. If possible could someone pls share some light on this. I am from India and keep travelling for work. I bought the RTG and RED chilly from Thailang and the silvers were bought locally. I am also not sure on their sex,

RTG's - 7 - 8"
Red Chilly - 9"
Silver's - 10 - 11"

Attaching one of my tank photo.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-04 at 4.29.18 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-09-03 at 15.26.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-03 at 15.26.41.jpeg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
From what I have heard it takes big fish, big tanks and lots of patience. DNA testing is the most reliable way for Asian aro's apparently. May be a chance when they are older and just one pair per tank (If you know the gender..).

Only a few members here have managed to breed arowana in tanks, maybe they'll chime in..

Also welcome to MFK :)

Reactions: twentyleagues

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
There might be a few exceptions as Hendre mentions but it's super rare for Asian Arowana to successfully breed in tanks, mostly only happens in decent-sized, outdoor ponds.

Interestingly I also read that Asian Arowana are supposedly quite sensitive to the earth's magnetic forces and will usually only breed within a few degrees of the equator, but not sure if this is true, nor if Mumbai lies within that relatively small magnetic band.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What size of space do you have available to breed them in?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
A friend of mine bred his silver arowana 4 times, before the female was killed, he had an outdoor pond, may be 300 - 400 gallon.

Two males and one female, when they bred the first time, they killed the smaller male.

Haven't read any documented breeding of Asian arowana in tanks, but have seen the mating ritual and the egg release in tank of a xb pair

Reactions: dr exum

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
There might be a few exceptions as Hendre mentions but it's super rare for Asian Arowana to successfully breed in tanks, mostly only happens in decent-sized, outdoor ponds.

Interestingly I also read that Asian Arowana are supposedly quite sensitive to the earth's magnetic forces and will usually only breed within a few degrees of the equator, but not sure if this is true, nor if Mumbai lies within that relatively small magnetic band.
A friend of mine bred his silver arowana 4 times, before the female was killed, he had an outdoor pond, may be 300 - 400 gallon.

Two males and one female, when they bred the first time, they killed the smaller male.

Haven't read any documented breeding of Asian arowana in tanks, but have seen the mating ritual and the egg release in tank of a xb pair
DanHOB DanHOB had a breeding pair of Asians aros.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
DanHOB DanHOB had a breeding pair of Asians aros.
Also Leo Messi Leo Messi had a friend with a couple successful spawns

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store