Breeding Butti's

Apr 6, 2005
I have an open 90 gallon tank and I want to try my hand at breeding butti cichlids. My LFS has 5 tiny 2" butti, can I just buy all 5 and wait for two to pair up? Also has anyone had any exp. in breeding them?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Buying all 5 and waiting for a pair would be the best idea. I don't have experience in breeding them firsthand, myself.

buddah101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
I own butti's and in my opinion they would be real tough to breed because they are really aggressive and a breeding pair would definately slaughter anything in its proximity! so if you do decide to spawn them have another tank ready to seperate the male and female if there is alot of aggro. Oh, I'm not positively sure a 90 gallon would be quite big enough for them. I don't know, I have never bred them. HTH

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
aren't they mouth brooders like arowanas?

Apr 6, 2005
Yeah your right budda 101, the one butti I have now is only 3" and has allready killed 4 oscars and beat the **** out of one of my baby redtail catfish, so.................screw that idea I have decided to breed Placidochromis phenochilus its a very rare Lake Malawi cichlid and my LFS has a breeding pair :) the fry go for 5 bucks a pop!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store