Breeding convicts, moving fry

Wornoutboots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
I have a few breeding pair of convicts in my display tank. At what stage can I move the offspring to another tank? As eggs, wigglers, or free swimming fry?

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
All of the above if you are prepared to do the care yourself.
If doing the eggs then need to have a setup that will keep a nice flow over the eggs but not too much to keep them clean.
As wigglers or swimming fry then need a way to feed them.
I normally let the parents do it in tanks with good algea growth as the parents will herd them around to graze.
20210110_170909.jpg20181223_134616.jpg
20190223_123907.jpg

Wornoutboots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
I have an existing setup that has a few of my surviving jewel fry in it, they are still very small so I dont foresee them eating the convicts. I have been feeding them hikari first bites. That should be sufficient yes?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If a fish will fit in another's mouth, it will happen. I have watched my Nanolutae, Saggitae and HRPs bigger fry eat its newly hatched siblings. So I have no doubt that the Jewel fry will consume the cons if small enough.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ask yourself: What do you plan on doing with the fry? Long term.

Convicts are ridiculously easy to breed and their offspring are hard to find a home for. You may consider leaving them in your display tank and watch nature play itself out. Watching the parents evolve through fry care, then set them free as they move on to create another brood, then watching the older fry become predators to their younger siblings, makes life in the display tank that much more interesting.

I would expect your Jewel fry to eat the younger Convict fry. Often, even if they can't "fit them in their mouth", they will eat the soft flesh. Then once the soft flesh is gone they can more easily fit what is left in their mouth. Or just go for the soft flesh of another one.

Cichlid fry are often far more aggressive than their adult parents, just on a physically smaller level.

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
Jexnell Jexnell What is that gold looking fish? A convict?

Reactions: Bbuckley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store