Breeding/cross breeding question

Unrealbill

Feeder Fish
Jan 7, 2020
Hello, new to the forums. I recently found one of my juvenile Allunacara is a female. I discovered this because it has a mouth full of eggs. It's an OB Peacock. There is one other male OB peacock in the tank with it. There are 13 other male Allunacara in the tank of various species. So will the fry be OB Peacocks, or could the female OB have mated with any other of the males? I didn't see the act so have no idea. If they are going to be cross- breeds, I'll probably just let them be eaten in the tank. If they will be OB Peacocks, I will save them. Any way to tell?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
welcome to MFK.
If you didn’t witness it there’s really no way to know.
More then likely a female will spawn with the most dominant male.

Reactions: deeda

Unrealbill

Feeder Fish
Jan 7, 2020
Thanks for your answer, that's pretty much what I figured. These guys all love women, so it could be any of them!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Since you already know which is the female, maybe move her to a separate tank so you can sell/give/trade her back to the store otherwise you will continue to have spawning accidents.

Unrealbill

Feeder Fish
Jan 7, 2020
I separated the OB last night to keep her from getting picked on, so it's in a tank with only smaller fish now. She has eggs now and I don't really want the fry, but I suppose the other juvenile peacocks will eat them?

I just discovered I have another female that I previously thought was a male. This one is a Taiwan Reef. I thought it was slow to develop but still a male because it has fairly pronounced egg spots. Well I know it's female now because I watched it lay eggs on a rock and eat them in some odd solo spawn mission. I thought she was carrying them around at first, but nope, ate them. Nobody else was spawning with the fish though, it was strange.

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
The OB hybrids can turn out really awesome sometimes. While I dont recomend selling hyrbids many OB hybrids are worth money to the right person since technically OBs are a hybrid already. Snake river cichlids has gotten some pretty neat hybrids and I've also seen some cool ones in the past. And in my experience usually the OB females will mate with any male showing red or orange, they arnt to picky.

Reactions: Adamson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store