Breeding different cichlids together

Gildedswamp Girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Hi I’m new to the forum and I was just wondering I have a big blue Texas Cichlid and a Black Acara Cichlids And as soon as I put the Texas Cichlid in the tank those two started hanging out the Acara seemed protective of the Texas Cichlid. Can these two cichlids breed is my question?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi I’m new to the forum and I was just wondering I have a big blue Texas Cichlid and a Black Acara Cichlids And as soon as I put the Texas Cichlid in the tank those two started hanging out the Acara seemed protective of the Texas Cichlid. Can these two cichlids breed is my question?

Welcome aboard

Tbh I don't know but others will chime in. Are the Cichlids small?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
These two fish can not cross breed. They can do the courtship and all that but the eggs won't get fertilized or develop.

The Black Acara is from South America. The Texas is from Central America.

A lot of centrals can cross breed.
Most all of the South Americans can't cross breed with the exception of Red Terrors.
This is why we don't see a million Oscar x ______ breedings or Green Terror crosses.

Gildedswamp Girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Thank you. What about Jewel cichlids? I live in central Florida Tampa Bay area and all the cichlids I have with the exception of the Texas cichlid I have caught in local ponds and rivers or lakes I mean.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you. What about Jewel cichlids? I live in central Florida Tampa Bay area and all the cichlids I have with the exception of the Texas cichlid I have caught in local ponds and rivers or lakes I mean.
Jewel Cichlid originate from Africa. You would have to catch atleast 4 and wait for 2 to pair off. I must suggest not mixing too many different type Cichlids in your aquarium. Some are more aggressive than others and require space for territory.:) What size aquarium do you have?

Gildedswamp Girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Ok This Tank is kind of a weird combination community tank you might say I have an armored catfish, a bass, a blue gill, 2 Jewel cichlids, Texas Cichlid, Black Acara and all of them like I said earlier I card and the local ponds and lakes because I work for Parks and Recreation except for the Texas Cichlid. They all get along great it’s really weird there like one big happy inbred family LOL my goal was to make a Florida native tank but I’m not putting any more fish in there.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok This Tank is kind of a weird combination community tank you might say I have an armored catfish, a bass, a blue gill, 2 Jewel cichlids, Texas Cichlid, Black Acara and all of them like I said earlier I card and the local ponds and lakes because I work for Parks and Recreation except for the Texas Cichlid. They all get along great it’s really weird there like one big happy inbred family LOL my goal was to make a Florida native tank but I’m not putting any more fish in there.

Keep observing daily things may change at any given day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store