Breeding fw shrimp or crabs?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Has any one had any luck at breeding freshwater shrimp or crabs? The only things I have been sucessful with are glass shrimp, triops (tadpole shrimp), and mysids (fairy shrimp), all of them more or less accidently. At one time a freind and I tried a small rice paddy to raise geisha girls and zebra dianos with a few dojos, etc thrown in. we also dumped in some of all three species of inverts just for giggles. It worked quite well. At another time I kept a 20g tank to raise half black lyretail guppies as feeders for my african butterflyfish, the tank was heavily over grown with elodea and lesser duckweed and started out with 2 dozen female guppies and 3 dozen males. While it was set up I caught several dozen fairy shrimp and bought thre dozen glass shrimp from someone who was redoing their tank, $10 for all the glass shrimp. I dumped all the fairy and glass shrimp in with the guppies to help contol the green water and algae. A couple of weeks later I started noticing tiny shrimp of both specie and was able to harvest feeder shrimp as well as guppies for more than a year (until I moved) I gave the set up away when I moved and heard that it was still producing guppies, fairies, and grass shrimp more than a year after that. I would love to raise fiddlers, red claws, and vampire shrimp but am only in the first stages of research so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store