Breeding projects

RickLive615

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
Hey guys, new here though I’ve been reading as a ghost for months!

I’m new to breeding as well and have a couple projects I want to work on and I’d like to ask what all I could possibly selectively create down the road.

In one tank I have 2 Synspilum I don’t know the sexy of yet and 1 Red Devil I believe is female...I know that makes a rose queen

My other tank is a male SRD and a beautiful Blood Parrot i believe is female and I think they have paired just no spawning yet but the exert the behavior.

Thanks in advance 138424013842411384242

Reactions: johnnymax

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Nice tanks and fish. I can't give you much advice, because I myself am venturing into breeding (for fun and entertainment).
I have had fish breed many times, but they were just being fish. I do know water quality is key. Happy fish do what happy fish do.
Are you going to have grow out tanks for the fry?

RickLive615

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
Are you going to have grow out tanks for the fry?
Yes I’m in the process of getting that 36” rack from Lowe’s and atleast one more 40b for the time being...the Synspilum and Red Devil are in a 75 and still a few months from sexual maturity I’d guess.....the SRD and BP are probably a little closer but I still have some time and they’re in a 40b themselves

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I am going to have to set up breeder tanks this Winter myself. I still have time.
What type of fish is that in the first picture?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

I personally never kept or tried to breed the CA Cichlids that you have. Most that breed fish always start off with a group and let them naturally pair off. Although your fish are getting along right now things may change especially if they don't like each other. Be prepared to separate if the male gets to aggressive. Also sometimes it's the female that may force the issue when she's ready. Keep us posted.

RickLive615

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
Welcome aboard

I personally never kept or tried to breed the CA Cichlids that you have. Most that breed fish always start off with a group and let them naturally pair off. Although your fish are getting along right now things may change especially if they don't like each other. Be prepared to separate if the male gets to aggressive. Also sometimes it's the female that may force the issue when she's ready. Keep us posted.
Thanks yeah when I first started keeping I had a bunch of fish and like 2 of everything and I started thinning out my stock and found what I wanted to focus on which was the Vieja but only had those 2....had to take back a JD that was creating chaos and replaced him with what I think is the female red devil....the BP has been in my tank with the Vieja for months and was tank boss...I actually was going to try and pair my flowerhorn with the red devil until I found out about purple rose queens and swapped them since I can use the blood parrot to see if my FH in fertile and he seems more ready than she is so I have them divided...I’m also thinking about ditching one of my Synspilum since the other one is clearly the more dominant one and by colors I assume male....just gonna lee an eye on em and see what happens

Reactions: tlindsey

RickLive615

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
That BP and Red Devil ended up being males after further investigation but my LFS has a almost identical midevil female so I made a trade and I also removed the BP that was with my FH.. I tried to put it back with my Synspilum but he was met with an asskicking so I took him back to fish store also! So now I’m down to one male Synspilum, 1 male SRD, 1 Female Midevil! I’ll probably just Wait to find a female FH instead of trying to hybridize my male even more 04E35CE9-5DFA-40D7-958D-458A58655690.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store