Breeding questions

DKS1987

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Tracy, CA
Hi everyone,

I have kept all types of cichlids over the past ten years. Currently I have two electric blues, two yellow labs, one tropheus duboisi, two common pelco, and one black ghost knife. In the next couple of weeks I am going to be building a DIY fish tank stand that will hold my 55 gallon on top and a 20 gallon in the middle (currently dont have this tank set up but it has everything it needs when i get my stand built)and also have room for storage. Before any of this starts, I have been real interested in getting into breeding cichlids for a very long time and I think this is my chance to start. :D I have serveral different questions for everyone. I have been doing a lot of research over the past couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has any websites or information they would like to share with me about breeding cichlids? I would also like to know if it would be better to try and start breeding in my 55 gallon tank or my 20 gallon? I also would like to know what type of cichlids some of you would recommened me trying to breed since this is my first time trying to breed? Any and all information would be very helpful to me. I know some of my questions are very basic but again this is my first time trying to breed anything at all. thankyou for any and all information you can provide me. DKS1987

jvision

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Cichlid-forum.com is a good resource. If you're wanting to breed Rift Lake cichlids (what your currently have), I'd use the 55 as your breeding tank. For the most part, they're mouth-brooders; so, when the female is holding the eggs in her mouth, you can move her to the 20 gal (place dividers in the 20 for multiple females).

Elgo_Sweettooth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2007
Indiana
do some reading on convict cichlids. they are "the rabbit" of the fish world. Or firemouths are pretty, but i think they wopuld take the 55. the convicts would squeeze into the 20. Hondoran red points are a very attractive "convict" they are in the easy to breed catagory i think, from what i have read these are 2 of the easiest starter fish when getting into egg laying breeding.

Reactions: DKS1987
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store