Breeding tinfoils

jarcher1390

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Cumbria
has any 1 bred tinfoils barbs as there is little to no relibale infomation on the internet. id love to hear from ppl if they have tired with succes or no success

RexFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
Pomona, CA
I would like to get some info of these too because i have good sized ones and would like to try them out.

jeremyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
canada
i thiink u would need a huge tank as they are probably egg scatterers. I also think that u would need lots of old adults aswell. and lots of plants!

mothernature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
nevada
They say its easy to breed tinfoil barbs if you have access to carp pituitary hormone and another crazy thing, I will let you know if I have any success , still it might take years. Odds are they will spawn eventually.
----
( I found this info)
The Tinfoil barb is an egg scattering species and the female Tinfoil barb can produce several thousand eggs per spawning. Sexing Tinfoil barbs is a bit tricky, since there are no obvious difference between males and females.

Since Tinfoil barbs grow so large, they are not easy to breed in captivity. According to unverified sources, a public aquarium has managed to breed Tinfoil barbs in captivity at least once, but as of 2006, no public aquarium has published any details regarding how to breed Tinfoil barbs. If you want to go about breeding Tinfoil barbs, you will need an outdoor aquaculture in a tropical climate or a really big aquarium.

Since the Tinfoil barbs are egg scatterers, they will not care for their eggs. Chances are high that they will eat egg and/or fry if kept together in the same aquarium. If you plan to breed Tinfoil barbs, it can therefore be a good idea to arrange a separate breeding aquarium where the offspring can be raised without the presence of adult fish. If you instead want to let the offspring stay together with the adult fish in the large aquarium, you can promote a higher fry survival by including a lot of plants in the set up. Java moss will for instance produce plenty of hiding spots for young Tinfoil barbs since Java moss produce and abundance of bushy leaves. Tinfoil barb fry will instinctively seek shelter and try to stay away from adult fish in the aquarium, just like they would do in the wild

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store