Breeding to little?

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
I have a few cichlids-most juvies; but i have a question bout my convict cichlids...for one ant find a difference are black convicts and reg convicts-the same right? And anyways my pair of convicts are maybe an inch and a half and theyve already breeded and there doing really goodthey havent eaten them but i feed my juvies 3 times a day in lil portions. please if anyone can help thatd be awesome.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a few cichlids-most juvies; but i have a question bout my convict cichlids...for one ant find a difference are black convicts and reg convicts-the same right? And anyways my pair of convicts are maybe an inch and a half and theyve already breeded and there doing really goodthey havent eaten them but i feed my juvies 3 times a day in lil portions. please if anyone can help thatd be awesome.
There are a few variables that may cause the Convicts to not grow well.

Not doing proper water changes to keep Nitrates low.
Genetics
Inbreeding
Not getting enough food.

Pink and Striped Convicts are the same.

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
none of that answered my question...my cichids are growing actually really fast like i said i feed all my juvies 3 tims a day and my convicts are still juvies and have already breeded...also the question was are the convicts cichlids and black convict cichlids the same...please only answer if u have acurate info...thanks

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
not to mention both my 20 gallons get 2 water changes my hubby actually *****es at me bc he says itll take out to much bacteria but my fish are very healthy and active and are grwing pretty quic altho i assume thatll eventually slow down....ph 7.8 nit 0 amon 0 and fish bread so id say tanks pretty goood there even still in there and its day 6 parents have moved them behind a bowl

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
my juvenile convicts that have bread this is day 3 before moving them to safer location-they have not eaten them;there first lay-im assuming feeding them 3 times a day definitey helps. thanks for all replies

IMG-6Hm_26*7NvC-5neSXG3irF_.jpg

IMG-7NnXaQs3Car-2xMpK3c6bV1.jpg

Reactions: YankeeJack

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
tlindsey tlindsey did answer the only question I see in your posts- pink and striped convicts are the same. Black convicts are what I assume you're referring to when you say "regular convicts"- these are also called striped convicts. All different names for the same fish. "pink" convicts are another color morph of the same fish as well.

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
lol too funny where are you guys seeing pink? i just asked if a black convict and a regular convict are the same-clearly there the exact same i had to go online for that one but thanks to you all for trying to answer-also i asked if they were breeding to younf there only 3months old but obviously they havent eaten them and the parent are still watching over them so thats a good thing. i guess my fish kinda answered my main question. have a good day

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
lol too funny where are you guys seeing pink? i just asked if a black convict and a regular convict are the same-clearly there the exact same i had to go online for that one but thanks to you all for trying to answer-also i asked if they were breeding to younf there only 3months old but obviously they havent eaten them and the parent are still watching over them so thats a good thing. i guess my fish kinda answered my main question. have a good day

You were correct I missed read the breeding at a small size. Yes the Convict will breed at that size not unusual. i also deeply apologize for the misread.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Black convict are regular convicts. There's only 2 types of convicts, black and pink, both are the same specie it's just the pink convict is a color morph of the regular black convict. Besides those 2 types there are no others besides the balloon variation which is just a regular black convict that has been bred for the short body gene, often called polar parrots for how similar they look to the blood parrot body design. In short, yes, regular convicts are black convicts.

Also yes it is completely normal for these fish to breed as small as 1in and sometimes smaller. It's an adaptation for when they used to live in the wild with far larger predatory fish. When your towards the bottom of the food chain it makes sense to repopulate ASAP before ya get eaten by something far larger.

Thirdly don't be an Ahole to the other members of this site just because you don't get the exact info you want right away, especially over something that only takes 5 mins of being on Google to look up yourself. It's mean and totally uncalled for. This is a site for personal growth and a community to come together to help eachother out over a hobby we all enjoy, it's not a site where you need to put ppl down just because they misread something or don't give you the exact information that your looking for.

So next time your looking to get information on something here just be more direct with the questions and try not to be so abrasive to ppl to misunderstand/misread them.

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
You were correct I missed read the breeding at a small size. Yes the Convict will breed at that size not unusual. i also deeply apologize for the misread.
ur good lol i just thought i was trippin when another poster mentioned it haha no big but thanks for your replies and thats good to know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store