bristle nose eggs

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Mfk my albino bristle nose pleco laid lots of eggs in the back of there pleco cave.
The male is guarding the cave.
I happen to have a bunch of ghost shrimp in the tank.
My question should I take the cave with the eggs out of the tank and hatch the babies in a separate tank?
Will the ghost shrimp eat the eggs or the pleco fry?
I have a bunch of guppies in the tank also. Will the guppies be a threat to the pleco fry?
Thanks so much appreciate the advice!

Reactions: Matteus

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Mfk my albino bristle nose pleco laid lots of eggs in the back of there pleco cave.
The male is guarding the cave.
I happen to have a bunch of ghost shrimp in the tank.
My question should I take the cave with the eggs out of the tank and hatch the babies in a separate tank?
Will the ghost shrimp eat the eggs or the pleco fry?
I have a bunch of guppies in the tank also. Will the guppies be a threat to the pleco fry?
Thanks so much appreciate the advice!
Would move to another tank to avoid predation.

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
When I have spawned them, the male has always done a very good job of protecting the eggs. Mine would never let anything near the cave. He also kept the fry in the cave for a long time. I think it depends on your intentions. If you want a bunch of fry, take them out. I personally think some will make it in your tank.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I'm loving these bristle nose Plecos and how they take care of there young!
Seems the last batch of babies are looking forward to the new arrivals...

Screenshot_20190412-163848_Video Player.jpg

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I have a lot of babies!
I wanted to ask what people's take on keeping them all outside? I'm in Miami, Florida and the temperature of one of the tanks is 83 degrees.
Should I start floating a ziploc of water everyday or can they handle the higher water temperature?
Thanks so much mfk!

2019-05-12 14.22.12.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
The guppies may chase the pleco fry but won`t eat them. I have mine with platies and they never bother the plecos. I also have cherry shrimp in my tank and they never mess with them either, or other way around for that matter. I don`t know if ghost shrimp are carnivorous though so best look into that before deciding what to do. That said if you keep the shrimp well fed they are not likely to chase down the fast moving fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store