broken barbell +white stuff?

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
hey all-
Sarah Pickle Lemon had to be moved twice this week. (i know. I'm sorry. moving her around hurts my feelers too)
-first time was to rescue everything from her tank. I put 9 panda corys in there when she was a wee babe, because I knew she couldn't eat them. I saw one the other day, and could see its ribs. had to take all the rocks out. could only find 3. So they were right to be scared and not come out. they're in the tetra tank and all is well.
- second. I took all the rocks out. perfect time for a much needed rescape (pic below because I'm so damn proud of myself.)
both times SPL had to be moved with a net. Both times, she got her little mouth stuck on the net! and like I'm not going to voluntarily stick my hand into a flailing arowanas mouth. I'm good, thx. so there wasn't a lot i could do.... but now it looks like one if not both of her little barbells are broken! and they're getting this white almost fuzzy stuff on them? or like remember when you were a kid and had a scab and in the bath it would kinda turn white and mushy and soft and start peeling off in like a weird goo? thats kinda what thats like. i am 100% positive theres a better description for it but I don't have it right now. So anyway, what do I do? aside from never move her again?(until its time to move into big girl tank ***see disclaimer below)

***DISCLAIMER***- Sarah Pickle Lemon is in a 125 gallon tank. FOR NOW. she is 7.5 inches long. she's small. FOR NOW. Yes, I am well aware how large she will get. I know she's going to need a very large tank. I got it. I researched. I know what she needs (i tried EVERYTHING for the eye droop but sadly she's getting that anyway)
I assure you, Sarah is a very happy arowana. she eats a homemade food consisting of 16 different ingredients. I'm here to make sure she lives a very happy life. Which is why I ruined my kitchen aid blender to make her special nasty blended fish food. Im not here to harm or make my arowana unhappy in anyway. except the net thing, apparently.
I have done my research. I know what she's down with and what she isn't. She has a 330-400 gallon tank in the works. PLEASE do not yell at me. She's happy and healthy. except the barbells.

IMG_2424.jpg IMG_2459.jpg IMG_2461 2.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hey all-
Sarah Pickle Lemon had to be moved twice this week. (i know. I'm sorry. moving her around hurts my feelers too)
-first time was to rescue everything from her tank. I put 9 panda corys in there when she was a wee babe, because I knew she couldn't eat them. I saw one the other day, and could see its ribs. had to take all the rocks out. could only find 3. So they were right to be scared and not come out. they're in the tetra tank and all is well.
- second. I took all the rocks out. perfect time for a much needed rescape (pic below because I'm so damn proud of myself.)
both times SPL had to be moved with a net. Both times, she got her little mouth stuck on the net! and like I'm not going to voluntarily stick my hand into a flailing arowanas mouth. I'm good, thx. so there wasn't a lot i could do.... but now it looks like one if not both of her little barbells are broken! and they're getting this white almost fuzzy stuff on them? or like remember when you were a kid and had a scab and in the bath it would kinda turn white and mushy and soft and start peeling off in like a weird goo? thats kinda what thats like. i am 100% positive theres a better description for it but I don't have it right now. So anyway, what do I do? aside from never move her again?(until its time to move into big girl tank ***see disclaimer below)

***DISCLAIMER***- Sarah Pickle Lemon is in a 125 gallon tank. FOR NOW. she is 7.5 inches long. she's small. FOR NOW. Yes, I am well aware how large she will get. I know she's going to need a very large tank. I got it. I researched. I know what she needs (i tried EVERYTHING for the eye droop but sadly she's getting that anyway)
I assure you, Sarah is a very happy arowana. she eats a homemade food consisting of 16 different ingredients. I'm here to make sure she lives a very happy life. Which is why I ruined my kitchen aid blender to make her special nasty blended fish food. Im not here to harm or make my arowana unhappy in anyway. except the net thing, apparently.
I have done my research. I know what she's down with and what she isn't. She has a 330-400 gallon tank in the works. PLEASE do not yell at me. She's happy and healthy. except the barbells.

View attachment 1329471 View attachment 1329472 View attachment 1329473

The white fluffy stuff on barbell sounds like fungus. Please list your water parameters. What is your water change routine and how much do you change weekly?

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
*raises hand politlely* just another bit of info to consider.. Many fish secrete extra mucus around a wound to keep it from becoming infected...sorta like a bandaid or the way we make a scab. This mucus usually has natural antibacterial and resortitive properities to it. It often has a white cottony appearance.

Not saying it isnt a fungus. Always rule out issues with water quality first. But if all else checks out then this could be a possibility to consider.

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
SPL's home looks pretty g d awesome! I am pretty sure a grow out tank like that has an owner that genuinely cares about his/her fish enough to do their homework and anticipate and prepare for the fish's needs and future needs. Good on ya!

Your pics look more like a healing scab to me more than a fungus. One CAN lead to the other, so, obviously, keep on top of your water parameters and changes obsessively until she heals and returns to her natural glory.

Btw- her name reminds me of an actress with the initials SJP. There is a website with the name of the actress spelled out, followed by "lookslikeahorse.com" that I have had more than a healthy amount of laughs at over about 7 years.
Good luck with your beautiful fish!

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
the next time you want to move her.... use a pillow case... you can use a net to guide her another the pillow case

also i will lower the height of the driftwood by half... this gives her more space to move and also prevent her from hurting herself on the wood if she tries to jump

Reactions: narayanang76

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
the next time you want to move her.... use a pillow case... you can use a net to guide her another the pillow case

also i will lower the height of the driftwood by half... this gives her more space to move and also prevent her from hurting herself on the wood if she tries to jump
Weird thing is, I have NEVER seen this fish try to jump. I’ve had her for quite some time now, and down stairs is a pretty high traffic area. Lots of chances to get spooked. I’m telling you man, this is one of the happiest fish I’ve ever seen. Especially for looking so unhappy lol
Also- I can’t just down that driftwood. Unless she exhibits obvious signs of being unhappy with it, I’m not going to slice apart driftwood lol

Last edited:

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Reply to all- thanks for your advice. I’m going to go mucus over fungus. I don’t have numbers but I will tell you I’m pretty ocd about her parameters being good. She’s not a fish I’m willing to lose. Since the rescape I’ve been doing about 15% water changes every day/ two days. So now the question is will this heal on its own? Does she need something added to the tank? I have silver dollars and an Apple snail in there so it can’t be anything that would hurt them. Are her little barbells going to fall off and regrow? Also- thanks everybody for the compliments! That tank was not an easy scape lol. I’ll throw in some other pics of my two other scapes. Just for fun. That’s an 8 gallon rimless tank, and a 75. Both with tetras. (Call me lame if you want) the discus have since found a new home.

0E032D6F-28B3-4A0C-A72C-3F2E6DB9E785.jpeg DBC8B202-E7FA-43EE-9EC8-2776C684895F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and MariaS

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
aro mucus usually A LOT more abundant.. it'll look like a glob vs a little white. i think a little melafix will be ok + slowly raise temp during quarantine. barbel will grow back at that age just need to increase live feeders to stimulate cell activity.

in addition to tank size they're raised in aro in the wild also look for food above the surface, so yes 90%+ of all silvers will get the drop eye at one point or another. vitamins can prevent it and also blackwater minerals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store