Brown Ghost Knifefish

___James___

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
Good evening everyone,
I can’t seem to find a whole lot of information on the Brown Ghost Knifefish, (Apteronotus leptorhynchus) Anybody have experience with them? Links? Advice?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not too many keeers around but similar to keeping a bgk but much smaller. Active at night, prefer low lighting, decor to hide in, will take flakes/blood worms, sensitive skin, and need peaceful tankmates. Will tolerate other brown knives but lots of nooks and crannies to hide. Slight acidic and soft water needed.

I’ve had a few over the years and not difficult.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I’ve owned a couple over the years and really love these little guys. Easy to care for, lots of personality and stay pretty small. My current one hasn’t grown much beyond 4” in the past year or so that I’ve own it. I’ve got him housed with some cories, ottos and amano shrimp and he’s generally fine with tank mates but does nip fins occasionally. Easy to feed - mostly eats Hikari micro wafers with frozen bloodworms and mysis for a treat.

Here’s one in one of my old tanks:

And here’s my current one

Reactions: ___James___

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
They are really fun but mine has been with me for more than a year and even after starving him for a week he hasn't eating anything else than bloodworms. It's the only thing I don't like about brown ghost knifefish. They can be picky eaters and I'm not the only one with this problem

Reactions: ___James___

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They are really fun but mine has been with me for more than a year and even after starving him for a week he hasn't eating anything else than bloodworms. It's the only thing I don't like about brown ghost knifefish. They can be picky eaters and I'm not the only one with this problem
Have you tried live mosquito larvae? I have yet to find a fish that refuses those!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm in canada, never heard of these stores around here l
You can always culture them in warmer months. Although I also get them frozen here.

They may also respond to freshly hatched Brine shrimp?

Reactions: JF Sirois
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store