Brute Can Replaces Sump

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You can see more about this indoor/outdoor system in my thread "Patio Tanks Rock". I replaced my fireplace with a 125 gal, and replaced the chimney with a 55 gal and a 30g sump.

I needed more room and better filtration on my main system, so I switched the 30g sump to a tank, and built this new filter. Here’s the patio tanks all covered in Styrofoam insulation for the winter. The little 30 gallon tank on the bottom was my main filtration and sump for both the 55 above it and the 125 gallon tank inside the house. But now it is just the home to a few African cichlids and guppies.

Here is the new DIY Rubbermaid "Brute" can filter:
can2.jpeg

The 44 gallon Brute trashcan has a 32 gallon Brute can stuffed inside it (after cutting off the handles.) I drilled several holes in the rim of the 32g, and I shot the gap between the two cans with spray can insulating foam. Here it is before I cleaned up the leakage, and after drying overnight. There's 2" of foam in the bottom & I put 30 gallons of water in the inner can so it wouldn’t float up on the expanding foam, while it was setting up. It all feels pretty solid.
cad1.jpeg

I put the 32 gallon lid on top of the 44 gallon lid, with a piece of 1” Styrofoam in between them, and I put one stainless steel screw through the middle. I cut a 1.25" diameter hole through both lids for the corrugated hose.

Water drains from the overflow on the 55 down thru the (white) corrugated 1.25” hose, Into the brute. The dirty water drops through 1” of well-aged filter floss, 1" of new filter floss, an 18” diameter x1” thick coarse floor buffer pad, 2 inches of coarse aquarium gravel, 2” of ceramic rings, and 3” of barbecue lava at the bottom. Everything was pre-aged in my various aquariums except for an entire pillow full of new filter floss.

A 2” ABS drain pipe comes up from the bottom, through the middle of everything, & is capped with a 2 inch elbow. It exits to the right through a bulkhead fitting and a 1.5” ABS pipe that overflows filtered water back to the 30 gallon tank. Two Eheim Heaters and two pond pumps are in the 30 gallon tank. One pump returns to the 55 and one returns to the 125 indoors.

My 30 gallon, when it was serving as a sump, really only had about 13 gallons of water in it. Now I can fill it up nearly to the top. That probably adds 15 gallons of water to the system as I have moved all the filter media out of it and into the Brute. The 32 gallon Brute contains all the media +25 gallons of water. So essentially I have added 40 gallons of water to my system. I have tripled the amount of filter media.

What I have not done is added any heaters, yet I have exposed the entire surface of that Brute filter can to the outdoor atmosphere. Hopefully, my insulation job works OK & I’m going to have to keep a close eye on system temperatures to make sure that my 400 W of heat can keep up with everything. I suspect it’s going to be borderline if temperatures drop into the freezing.

More photos when the water clears and the sun comes out tomorrow.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
When I went to sleep last night the water was quite cloudy but overnight it cleared up quite nicely.

Water temps were 74° at 6 AM and it was not a particularly cold night. Tonight will get down to 45 Fahrenheit and we will see how it does then. Here’s a good view of my pre-aged filter floss. LOL
1B6DCC63-3732-4F39-AA58-26AB135FFF42.jpeg

I had a minor water leak from the corrugated hose which was easily repaired by shortening the hose.

I also decided to drain the whole thing this morning and reposition it slightly. This allowed for a more sensible lid arangement on the 30 gallon.

The 30 gallon tank insulation only had a tiny window on the front, just big enough for me to check the water level of the sump. I replaced it with a much larger window, all pieces of glass you see on the styrofoam having come from a broken 10 gallon aquarium.
BD450C93-F745-4B24-9266-6BE91B118440.jpeg

Here you can see 7” Buttercup peeking out his window towards the new sump.
44326916-9E67-41FA-8B40-6EE9FE89791B.jpeg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Very interesting..... I shall be bookmarking this for future uses :popcorn:

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . I mean who needs a fireplace anyway? . . .
Well I live in the desert, so a fireplace is pretty much just an air polluter. This guy named Benjamin Franklin made them totally obsolete 250 years ago, by making a stove which used half as much fuel and put out twice as much heat.

Now every homebuilder will tell you that houses with fireplaces are easier to sell. This is because women think that fireplaces are romantic. They make absolutely no sense from the perspective of economy, engineering, convenience, or use of space.

Some folks think that a fireplace is a good source of emergency heat. It is in fact the least efficient and most physically demanding way to heat the house.

We had what is known as a “Heatalator” fireplace. It had brass doors with glass and a fan. I can tell you it does not produce much heat. What they produce is a lot of pretty flames to look at, while drinking.

If you look at the Brute trashcan photo you will see that it sits on a 1 inch thick piece of concrete. That concrete is reinforced with thick steel mesh, and it was the back panel of the fireplace. The whole fireplace was sheet metal with concrete inserts, and the chimney was made from wood and stucco.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Hey Felix guess what today is?
01ECB093-60F5-447E-BB6F-2FA12B7309A8.jpeg
What?

Today is the day you move to the 125 gallon tank.
BCFBC0DD-BBD2-4C2B-9D5F-431E3F86B889.jpeg

Ho Lee Sea Bass! Felix the Oscar finally makes it from this 75g to the 125 gal tank.
84C25853-C7A4-41CC-8F37-ED26DEA20578.jpeg

There was a big nitrate spike in the big system from me moving all the bio media around and stirring everything up. I thought yesterday‘s round of water changes would take care of this, but Nitrates were still above 20 PPM

So, I just changed another 100 gals of water, and the 125 is still cloudy.
3CA178C5-5D79-47A6-BE87-DE66464F4EC9.jpeg
I have been ready to do this move for quite a while now. Felix, not so much; but he appears to be adjusting well so far....

Meanwhile, in the midst of water changing with only 6 inches of murky crap at the bottom, Blue Leeloo and Black Leeloo decided it was time to do the mating dance.

I’ve heard that cichlids do not like to mate in clean water. I know they like it hard, and the last time this happened was after I added the aragonite to my system.

Anyhow, I have been waiting to do this move for a long time; but I just didn’t have a good idea of what to do with the filtration and how to house the extra fish. It seems like I have finally solved both problems, but we will see.

25DA6702-2563-43CE-9C93-B3806315A195.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The water has cleared nicely. This is a bypass system, and only 1/3 is filtered per pass. Roughly, I mean. There is mixing in the 30g, but the pump to the 125 is twice the size of the one serving the 55 and Brute can.

I thought there would be problems with Felix and Mojo, but nothing to report. They are getting along very well. C6F74AC6-F86B-45DE-AC9B-437523D8C20B.jpeg

A253357B-55C2-4181-890F-A5D5810A563F.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I decided that I wanted to put a nitrate reducing coil inside the Brute, where it will stay nice and warm. I bought 200 feet of 16mm OD drip line tube And a couple connectors to hook it up.
image.jpg

In the process of trying to install that monstrous coil in the can, I realized that I needed to reconfigure the filter. It was starting to suck up gravel from the bottom And stirring up the muck.

I don’t know whatever possessed me to do this wrong except for the absolute knowledge that I am now doing it right.

I had the inflow water coming to the top and sinking down. Then it had to percolate up thru a 2 inch tube to the overflow.

This is absolutely backwards as far as flow velocities in the filter and it was not polishing the water

Anyhow I removed the 2” elbow & I added a short piece of 2” pipe to bring the central pipe to the top of the can.
image.jpg

I stuck the corrugated inflow hose into that pipe so the water would go directly to the bottom of the sump, and percolate up slowly so as not to stir up crap. I put some screen guards cut from well aged pond baskets, up on top of the floss, just to prevent floss from going through the overflow.

Now I must get the coil back in place and hook it up.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Felix is doing well in the big tank, and his water is looking better as well. I’m so glad that we got him transferred without scrapes and bruises. He already had a few from trying to chase the guppies through the rough.
05AA22F1-EE26-4172-AFA9-A23562E629EE.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
It has been almost 2 weeks since I started this project, am I am still doing monstrous water changes and massive gravel siphoning, as the whole system settles in.

I added another pond basket with floss, into the 30 gallon to polish the water some more.
My main tank should be draining into the Brute and it is still going to the 30.
040F9548-D924-4067-948F-E5F8364F4E8E.jpeg
I purchased some fittings to reroute my drainage, but it is very cold here today and there was actually some ice on the puddles. I don’t want to tear into the system when it is this cold. Main system temperature was down to 74 and I’m sure my heaters were running all night. I’m going to add some more insulation to the system, but we usually only get a few days a year that drop in to the freezing temperatures.

Two days ago, we actually got sleet, which lasted in places until the next morning. I haven’t seen that here in 25 years.

Anyhow, by reversing the flow through the Brute garbage can and adding another basket with floss, I have polished the water a bit.
4D9FCFCB-BB90-485E-A8A4-1292F2A383DC.jpeg
I’ll post a little more once I get the plumbing rearranged in a couple days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store