Bubbles on surface

Jintoh50

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
DId a quick search and seems to be too much protein in water? Last couple of days my 75g 1 oscar tank has bubbles (micro and larger) staying on surface longer than usual. I've done, over the last few days, at least an 80% water change. The aquaponics been up and running for close to six months now, should have taken before/after pics, plants started out at top of container (don't think thats the cause?)

Water tests like it always does for the past 2 yrs, my boy seems happy lol. Any cause for concern?

Forgot to mention water tests come back like they have the past 2yrs, no problems.
Edit edit, lol, that white mark that looks like its on his head is something in the background, no wounds on him.

20220701_080845.jpg

20220701_080904.jpg

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In a tank as small as a 75 gal with an adult oscar a regime of 100% water change per week would not be out of line.
I try to do 40% water changes every other day on my 180 gal, and it has a much smaller bio load than one adult oscar in a 75,
and the plant to fish ratio is more heavier on the plant side.
E896074C-D3AF-485C-89DA-6DDEE0EA780D_1_201_a.jpeg
I figure with a fish the size and growth of an oscar the water change schedule should double about every 6 months or so, as it ages, and grows.
Are you feeding meaty foods like shrimp, or fish chunks, or high protein pellets?
This might account for the proteins fractionating out at the waters surface, if sufficient volumes of water are not being changed every out few days

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
DId a quick search and seems to be too much protein in water? Last couple of days my 75g 1 oscar tank has bubbles (micro and larger) staying on surface longer than usual. I've done, over the last few days, at least an 80% water change. The aquaponics been up and running for close to six months now, should have taken before/after pics, plants started out at top of container (don't think thats the cause?)

Water tests like it always does for the past 2 yrs, my boy seems happy lol. Any cause for concern?

Forgot to mention water tests come back like they have the past 2yrs, no problems.
Edit edit, lol, that white mark that looks like its on his head is something in the background, no wounds on him.

View attachment 1498404

View attachment 1498405
Nice looking Oscar

Jintoh50

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
In a tank as small as a 75 gal with an adult oscar a regime of 100% water change per week would not be out of line.
I try to do 40% water changes every other day on my 180 gal, and it has a much smaller bio load than one adult oscar in a 75,
and the plant to fish ratio is more heavier on the plant side.
View attachment 1498406
I figure with a fish the size and growth of an oscar the water change schedule should double about every 6 months or so, as it ages, and grows.
Are you feeding meaty foods like shrimp, or fish chunks, or high protein pellets?
This might account for the proteins fractionating out at the waters surface, if sufficient volumes of water are not being changed every out few days
Ahh okay, I usually do 25g changes (~35% if my crappy math is right) ~every 3 days. I'll start changing more frequently. He gets pellets, an occasional algae wafer and sometimes a piece of raw shrimp. Goes without any food 1 day a week, not a happy fish that day. The tank is right next to my PC so I sit in front of it all day.
Scares the crap out of me that day slamming the lid up and down and swimming around like mad in front of me wanting his food.

Loves the pellets. Yeah, would have loved a 125g but had to do battle with the wife just to get this one LOL.

So far (had him

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you want to remove an oil slick or surface protein, turn off all airstones and filters then drape absorbent paper hand towels (or newspaper sheet) accross the water surface which will soak up your dirty water layer. Then slide off the paper into a waiting bucket. Repeat if needed.

Cut back on the oil - protein content of fish food.

Water changing is not a very effective method to remove surface protein.

Jintoh50

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
If you want to remove an oil slick or surface protein, turn off all airstones and filters then drape absorbent paper hand towels (or newspaper sheet) accross the water surface which will soak up your dirty water layer. Then slide off the paper into a waiting bucket. Repeat if needed.

Cut back on the oil - protein content of fish food.

Water changing is not a very effective method to remove surface protein.
I'm going to try this b/c you are right I've changed a lot of water the past few days and it isn't any better.

Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is true that water changes (especially if vacuuming from the substrate) can be an inefficient way of removing proteins.
I know most people think fish feces are the problem, to me its surface buildup..not as easy to see, but more worrisome..
I hardly ever worry about the substrate, and take water change water from the surface by skimming surface water to waste.
By this I mean, divert water that would normally overflow to the sump, to waste (the garden, the drain etc etc).
All you need do to prove this, is to temporarily turn off filters, or airstone, and watch the surface scum build up to see where the real deleterious substances accumulate.
The air water interface.
Using air stones without removing those proteins from the water just mixes it in, compounding the problem.
Airstones keep oxygen exchange viable, but don't remove anything
This is why one of my go to filtration methods, has always been protein skimming (even in fresh water).
Below is a video of a DIY protein skimmer on a fresh water pond I made.
koi pond fractionation
The nasty foam dribbling on land, is what the skimmer removes.
These substances are nitrate precursors, so skimming also contributes indirectly to nitrate reduction.
Below a DIY biofractionator on inside tanks, it is situated in an onset sump.
1657033116371.png1657033116371.png
Waste foam, and liquid dribble into a bucket.

Last edited:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You can use the gravel vacuum to skim the surface of the water during a water change. After the siphon is going, point the siphon tube up at a 45 degree or so angle and have the water of the surface pulled down into the tube. It will suck down the protein scum into the tube, then you can quickly turn the siphon tube down into the substrate to force any protein scum lining the the tube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store