Buddy the BP

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
I've had a couple of different posts on here attempting to find Buddy the BP a tank mate or two. So far this "docile" creature has consumed or killed every tank mate under 4 inches. The typical mollies, guppies, platy, giant danio, and dwarf gourami.

I had him in a 55g with a mature African cichlid, but after a hardscape change that lead to some fighting and subsequently isolation. Buddy is now a lone ranger.

Long story short this terror of a fish has "won" the rights to self isolation in a 55g tank. Sure I am to blame for the lost fish but in my defense this guy was a purchase at my 6 year old's selection. Word to the wise, have the will power to say no to your kids or else you end up with a terror of a BP.

Still going to try to find a community type tank for this little booger and will share more about his journey out of isolation.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Here are some photos of the smug fellow as he skirts around knowing what he did last night...

Looks innocent enough, right?

20200714_094411.jpg

20200714_094351.jpg

Reactions: Cohazard

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Might try a small bristlenose catfish. Or some nice cherry barbs or neon tetras. Or a couple of nice size swordtails. Sounds like Buddy is a firecracker...all my parrots are in different tanks due to fighting. Could break sight lines with multiple hides. Parrots love hides.

Don't forget to quarantine newcomers.

Remember, a 55 isn't big if your parrot ends up on the larger side...even a small adult is 5 inches.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Might try a small bristlenose catfish. Or some nice cherry barbs or neon tetras. Or a couple of nice size swordtails. Sounds like Buddy is a firecracker...all my parrots are in different tanks due to fighting. Could break sight lines with multiple hides. Parrots love hides.

Don't forget to quarantine newcomers.

Remember, a 55 isn't big if your parrot ends up on the larger side...even a small adult is 5 inches.
I have 7 hides.... a new comer arrives and he pushes them out claiming the whole tank....

Firecracker is polite term for Buddy.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Latest update...

Buddy was removed from the 29G QT to make room for some incoming fish. I put an egg crate divider in the 55G until the next big tank can cycle. There is an African Cichlid that lead to my prior post of Friday Night fight night... so a wall was a must.

Not more than 5 minutes and he was able to move the wall just far enough to wiggle over the top.

Moral of the story, sand all edges of egg crate (thankfully I did), and be aware that BP are rather determined creatures even if they have all of their favorite hides in place.

To be continued....

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Latest update...

Buddy was removed from the 29G QT to make room for some incoming fish. I put an egg crate divider in the 55G until the next big tank can cycle. There is an African Cichlid that lead to my prior post of Friday Night fight night... so a wall was a must.

Not more than 5 minutes and he was able to move the wall just far enough to wiggle over the top.

Moral of the story, sand all edges of egg crate (thankfully I did), and be aware that BP are rather determined creatures even if they have all of their favorite hides in place.

To be continued....
Been there. My lil' goon of a rainbow cichlid Pepper periodically rams the divider and forces his way through a crack, looking like he's shot out of a cannon! Of course the acara Felix isn't too happy about that and chases him for it. Now why Pepper does this I have no idea.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Been there. My lil' goon of a rainbow cichlid Pepper periodically rams the divider and forces his way through a crack, looking like he's shot out of a cannon! Of course the acara Felix isn't too happy about that and chases him for it. Now why Pepper does this I have no idea.
Albert could care less but for real isn't happy with Buddy's presence. I made the divider sheet again with tighter tolerance to the glass and the jack wagon dug to the bottom to test my clearance.

Till next time when the saga continues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store