Budget ISO container aquarium concept with scetches 12,000 liter (2,600gal)

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
This is the only formula for the strength of glass that I could find:

Formula used for glass strength is P=Strength of Glass*2*Length*thickness^2/3*Width
Strength of glass = 10,000 PSI (normal glass)

I posted the formula in the hope that you would comment cvermeulen. This formula seems effective for the highest window. My 1000 litre aquarium uses 12mm glass for a larger span. I added in a safety factor of 4 to my figures. Obviously I MUST get these figures correct or the entire project will fail. Do you know where I could find a good surface stress calculator for glass?

Yes MaddMaxx - I am definately leaning towards designing and welding it myself. I'm currently organising a MIG welding course but unfortunately it will not be until next year :( It will probably take me a while to come up with the best design for the mega-tank, there are a lot of factors to take into account (including the fact that I am not an engineer and have to research everything). I've just got to do this one step at a time.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Griller;3590996; said:
This is the only formula for the strength of glass that I could find:

Formula used for glass strength is P=Strength of Glass*2*Length*thickness^2/3*Width
Strength of glass = 10,000 PSI (normal glass)

I posted the formula in the hope that you would comment cvermeulen. This formula seems effective for the highest window. My 1000 litre aquarium uses 12mm glass for a larger span. I added in a safety factor of 4 to my figures. Obviously I MUST get these figures correct or the entire project will fail. Do you know where I could find a good surface stress calculator for glass?

Yes MaddMaxx - I am definately leaning towards designing and welding it myself. I'm currently organising a MIG welding course but unfortunately it will not be until next year :( It will probably take me a while to come up with the best design for the mega-tank, there are a lot of factors to take into account (including the fact that I am not an engineer and have to research everything). I've just got to do this one step at a time.
I am certain that I have a calculator bookmarked somewhere. I will try to find it. As I recall it gave very conservative numbers though.

kenC56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
Las Vegas
I am not to sure how much more it would be, but would one of those cinderblock tanks be a lot more money?

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
kenC56;3591652; said:
I am not to sure how much more it would be, but would one of those cinderblock tanks be a lot more money?
I'd say a cinderblock or bessabrick tank would be much cheaper, but the calculations for the glass would be the same. If I make a permanent feature I must get council approval (unlikely) and it would de-value my house. I also may move so the tank needs to be truck portable.

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
Griller;3590996; said:
Cool, I do a bit of "hobby" welding myself, a project of your size would be awesome. Best of luck and I'll be following!

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member

Arapaimaman

In Loving Memory
Aug 27, 2005
Central Florida
I read all of the threads.I may have misted it but how come you haven't thought of acrylic for the build ? I built a 1,500 gallon tank by my self.I had a tank that is 15,000 gallons with nine acrylic panels.It was made by ATM out of Las Vegas,Nevada.They will help with you build by answering your question.They have a office in Korea.Good luck.

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Griller;3596144; said:
My god - that is so cool! :popcorn:
yes , really good , a flooded amazon just outside your house .

there is another one i seen in pics before , a couple of years back , a smaller size outdoor tank similar to that but he had a projection pull down screen install just right above the celing so its dual purpose you can watch a movie , slide the screen up the outdoor tank will be uncover , really interesting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store