Budget ISO container aquarium concept with scetches 12,000 liter (2,600gal)

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Have you considered dumpsters? They might be cheaper and/or more easily available.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
I love the comment on the new plan checklist on page two.

'Learn how to weld':ROFL:

Good luck man, MFK is with you. Subscribed

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
zennzzo;3597032; said:
Gotta start somewhere...
and I always thought MIG welding was plug and play...
:ROFL:

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Arapaimaman;3596264; said:
I read all of the threads.I may have misted it but how come you haven't thought of acrylic for the build ? I built a 1,500 gallon tank by my self.I had a tank that is 15,000 gallons with nine acrylic panels.It was made by ATM out of Las Vegas,Nevada.They will help with you build by answering your question.They have a office in Korea.Good luck.
What sort of $$$ did the acrylic cost you? Do you have some pics. I can get acrylic here in Australia but am under the impression that is costs a lot of $$$! Too much for a humble public servant like myself.
Please - how were the tanks made?

spiff;3596881; said:
Have you considered dumpsters? They might be cheaper and/or more easily available.
Great idea - I've been looking at them for the last few hours. I can't find anything in the size want :(. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yanbbrox;3596910; said:
I love the comment on the new plan checklist on page two.

'Learn how to weld':ROFL:

Good luck man, MFK is with you. Subscribed
I know welding is an art in itself. My plan is to take get MIG training at the local TAFE then take on some smaller projects - like making shelving for the garage and then making some small aquariums using the methods chosen for the big one. I'll need some grow-out and hospital tanks anyway. The damn TAFE is closing for Xmas so I'll have to wait until next year. I'm lucky enough to have some workmates who are ex-boiler makers and they are happy to help me (as long as they don't have to do the work :drool:).

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Griller,
forget all that,
Just buy you a
mid-priced MIG welder,
a good hood to see what you are doing through,
some scrap metal,
and start laying down some beads...

MIG welding is as easy as point the tip and squeeze the trigger, the wire is fed through the tip and the arc is shielded by the gas...

It's so simple even a...
caveman.jpg
;):D:ROFL:

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
I emailed an engineer at a glass company and asked him about glass for my tank. He didn't give me any calculators or details, but responded to my planned dimensions. This is what he said:

Hi Alex,

I refer to your enquiry recently and the details provided.

Please find attached the glass recommendation for three individual windows and the some typical glazing details for your information.

I would prefer using laminated glass for a large aquarium in lieu of using monolithic glass in order to minimise damage and injury in the event of glass breakage.

Hope this is of assistance

GLASS RECOMMENDATION
(Glass design to AS1288-2006)
1) Design Assumptions
Water level: 200mm above top edge of window
Allowable deflection in support framing: span over 1000
Opening size: 570H x 2443W / 390H x 2443W / 320H x 2443W
Support conditions of panel: supported on all sides
2) Glass Recommendation
Nominal Glass Thickness: 21.52mm
Glass Make-up: 2 by 10mm heat strengthened glass laminated with 1.52mm PVB

interlayer
Notes:
1 The above recommendation is for information purposes only and not intended for use
by members of the public. Should be relied upon by experienced members of the glass
and construction industry as general information only and under no circumstances
should they be regarded as a substitute for professional advice from competent and
skilled advisors on particular applications of any product.
2 Always avoid hard, sharp objects coming into contact with the glass wall.
3 Laminated glass products must be glazed to protect the interlayer from direct exposure
to the elements and the pool water.
4 Viridian will not provide design / compliance certificates for the recommendation.
He also sent me a document on pool window glazing but I can't copy it. It basically says:
Glaze from the inside (we know that)
The frame MUST be rigid (move no more than 1/600th of the span)
The overlap must be between 1.25-1.5 times the thickness of the glass

The shops have closed for the weekend so I can't get quotes on laminated glass.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Here is another idea that I sketched up. This is the one I sent to the engineer and it is based on the calcs from the internet formula.

The idea is to use 2 angle iron verticles for the corners with angle cross braces sandwiched between them. There is 10mm flat under the cross braces to make a flush surface.

I really need a good method calculating glass!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store