Build Avice Please!

L~C~G

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
South Africa
Hi Guys.

Been a member of this forum for some time now and have recently been inspired to do my own plywood build.

It is by no means a monster from what I have seen on this site but its a start. I live in South Africa and own an apartment on the 3rd floor. I have a nice space on the corner or my living room that will be perfect for this design. I work on the metric system so I will try my best to convert all the measurments, please excuse any mistakes :)

I would really appreciate any feedback you could give.

The tank will be square with two glass viewing panels and will be +- 90" x 90" and 27" high. approximatly 110gl with the accesories in.

I will try and attach my basic plan for a bit of clarity.

The questions I would like a bit of help on are:
1) Would I have to line this tank with fibreglass or would it be strong enough with a ruberised paint (or what esle should I use)? I plan to wood glue everything and use countless screws as well.

2) would I need to cross brace it at the top from any points or would it be strong enough with the demensions shown here.

3) anythng else you would suggest?

4 )The plywood will all be 3/4" (is this over engineering or common sense)?

4) The uprights will be +- 3" x 3" and the inside strips to hold the glass pannels and other sides will be +- 2" x 2"

How does it look?

plan.jpg

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Your conversion may be off, 90"x90"x24" = 842 gallons = WOW...

However I am not posting to correct your conversion if they are off.

Your design is good, and looks solid. 3/4" ply is not overbuilding.

Can't wait to see more.

Bear

L~C~G

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
South Africa
john73738;4055626; said:
Darn, Likes 842 better ;)

Still a good design.
Me too............but the two people who live below me may not see funny side of their concrete roof bowing from the load :headbang2

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
For the record, a good portion of the subscribers on this board are fine with metric measurements.

For anyone not fluent in metric measurement, if you type "20cm in inches" in google it will tell you how many inches that is.

20 centimeters = 7.87401575 inches

More about calculator.

I'm a fan of this design, I like tanks with square footprints. I'm looking forward to watching this project.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
kallmond;4056403; said:
For the record, a good portion of the subscribers on this board are fine with metric measurements.

For anyone not fluent in metric measurement, if you type "20cm in inches" in google it will tell you how many inches that is.

More about calculator.

I'm a fan of this design, I like tanks with square footprints. I'm looking forward to watching this project.

My favorite conversion tool

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

L~C~G

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
South Africa
kallmond;4056403; said:

More about calculator.

Good to know the guys are familiar with the metric system, Thanks. :)

Well, ive decided to go ahead with this build. It will take a few days to get everything together and ill get started in the next two weeks, Ill keep you updated with the progress.

What thickness glass would be the best option. There will be two panels of +- 810mm wide by 600mm high. I own a picture framing business here and buy glass directly from the manufacturer at dealer price so im looking for the most ideal thing, not the cheapest.

Reactions: eddiegunks

L~C~G

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
South Africa
Ive worked out the final sizes and the two glass panels will be 32" x 24" each.
Any ideas on thickness?

It will hold just over 100 gal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store