Building acrylic tank help

Jhe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Hi,

I'm planning to build an acrylic tank 61"x20"x24"x1/2" thick. But the problem is, I'm having a hard time to find a Weld on 4 and Weld on 16 here in United Arab Emirates. I tried several online store and contact the seller but none of them ship here. My only option is Ace hardware and found this Zip Strips paint remover which contained Methylene chloride, Methanol and Mineral spirits.(attached). Can I use this product in welding acrylic?

Appreciate all your outputs.

Thanks

pACE3-960393v275.jpg

Jhe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Hi,

I'm planning to build an acrylic tank 61"x20"x24"x1/2" thick. But the problem is, I'm having a hard time to find a Weld on 4 and Weld on 16 here in United Arab Emirates. I tried several online store and contact the seller but none of them ship here. My only option is Ace hardware and found this Zip Strips paint remover which contained Methylene chloride, Methanol and Mineral spirits.(attached). Can I use this product in welding acrylic?

Appreciate all your outputs.

Thanks

View attachment 1259137
Hi, 34 views and no replies? Hoping to get help from you guys. Thanks

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That's a really tough call. Methylene chloride is the main ingredient in most industry solvents. I use a nearly pure blend for solvent welding. It's hard to know what concentration is in that product. If that concentration is high enough to melt the acrylic and cause a complete bond? Doubtful. Other chemicals that are likely added could craze or damage the acrylic as there's alcohol in there and that won't evaporate quickly enough. I would do a sample weld with two scraps of thin cell cast and see how it goes, I'm overwhelmingly doubtful. Do you have an MSDS for in the product? I bet there's not a high enough concentration

Look for dichloromethane, it's got to be available somewhere. Dubai isn't too far from you :)

Just know it is structurally similar to chloroform so if you have a criminal history better have your story straight ;)

Reactions: JK47

Jhe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
That's a really tough call. Methylene chloride is the main ingredient in most industry solvents. I use a nearly pure blend for solvent welding. It's hard to know what concentration is in that product. If that concentration is high enough to melt the acrylic and cause a complete bond? Doubtful. Other chemicals that are likely added could craze or damage the acrylic as there's alcohol in there and that won't evaporate quickly enough. I would do a sample weld with two scraps of thin cell cast and see how it goes, I'm overwhelmingly doubtful. Do you have an MSDS for in the product? I bet there's not a high enough concentration

Look for dichloromethane, it's got to be available somewhere. Dubai isn't too far from you :)

Just know it is structurally similar to chloroform so if you have a criminal history better have your story straight ;)

Hi Dieselhybrid,

Thanks for your reply. I have the MSDS attached, it's about 80% methylene chloride concentration. But what I'm afraid now is the color as it is light blue as per the MSDS.

Believed me, I've searched all over the net and call some companies here and they don't sell small amount.

Does chloroform will really work? Or is there a silicone that I can use to support after cementing with chloroform?

I will be very glad for any more suggestions and help.

Screenshot_20170621-222125.png

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Let me be clear. I'm not supporting the acquisition or use of chloroform. I'm just saying that Methylene Chloride (dichloromethane) is very structurally similar to Chloroform (trichloromethane). I was only making a poor attempt at humor, and to let you know in some countries they are regulated substances so be aware. I do not know if Chloroform would actually work in this application, even if it did, can't support it's use :)

80% is actually higher than I expected for methylene chloride in that product. I use a 95% blend with acids, my buddy 90%.

Do some test bonds on scrap material. Most plastics distributors and fabricators have scrap bins. You can grab a ton of different thickness material for a cheap cost. Then practice weld. I've done dozens of practice welds trying to experiment with pin gauges, cook times, solvent blends, reducing bubbles and getting clear seams. It takes some practices to get the routine down and confidence up.

You're going to need to practice solvent welding with scrap anyway, this is the next step to test that solvent. I'm still not fond of the idea of this stuff.. It's got too much methanol, plus mineral spirits. Once the methylene chloride quickly evaporates the other two chemicals will still be suspended in melted acrylic, could take forever to set, or never set completely. Methylene chloride evaporates at a very rapid speed. If that container has been used or opened it's probably not nearly 80% anymore. That's why weldon-3/4 is only good for 30 days after you open a can for aquarium purposes, the MC (equivalent solvent) starts to evaporate and changes the ratios of the solution, reducing the bond strength and how aggressively it melts the material. They crappy aluminun lids aren't air tight, well you understand. Weldon is diluted because they manufacture it in California (highly regulated state) and want to sell without more restrictions. It's not pure MC, it's really an average product custom solvents considered. Especially since they retired Weldon-5, that was a good product for this application but I haven't heard of it in ages.

Keep looking someone in Dubai has methylene chloride or an equivalent solvent, One of the best aquariums in the world is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel96

Jhe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
That was a very informative answer. I guess the best I can do is try what ever solvent is available here in UAE. :)

I found Weld on 4 in local online store but I'm afraid if it's true that they can deliver what I need. I hope and will give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Use the Weld on 4. That will work perfectly. What brands of acrylic can you get out there? I made the mistake of using indonesian junk and learned a lesson about quality.

Jhe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Use the Weld on 4. That will work perfectly. What brands of acrylic can you get out there? I made the mistake of using indonesian junk and learned a lesson about quality.
I found dichloromethane and I will buy tomorrow. Hope it's the correct one. The brand of acrylic i'm using is year long from Taiwan. You think this is a good brand?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
If it's pure you'll be good to go. It's pure DCL, which means it will evaporate and set quickly, you'll want to pull the wires/pins around 25-40 seconds. After that it will be starting to set, which isn't the end of the world but you won't get a great fillet if you "ccok" the seams too long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store