Building my first Tank. Need advice on these seams

DaveYng

Feeder Fish
May 6, 2021
Building my first tank.
1” 5x2x2 tank
These edges were sanded down to remove saw marks.
I used Weldon 4
Clamped the sides
I’m in need of advice on what I should do from here.
I’ve purchased some Weldon 40 and it’s on the way.
Can I save this from a blowout or leaks?
What should I do to make this tank simply hold water. I know it won’t look the best due to the trapped bubbles...
Any help is greatly appreciated. Spent a 1,000 on all this acrylic. So hopefully I get some good advice here ?

ALL PICTURES OF THE SEAMS ARE VERTICAL SEAMS. It was a lot harder to do them vs the horizontal seams...

24096297-540F-48C2-AF7A-2DA2E716B55C.jpeg192C3DD6-14A8-421D-B769-5C947C6AE12E.jpeg9260EC79-D5F2-40BD-8EE1-21BFD76087A6.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lepisosteus Lepisosteus

Reactions: Matteus

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
No offense but those seams do not look good. When working with acrylic for the first time the best advise I can give is to use multiple types of weld on ( thin for most seams and thicker to fill in bigger gaps ). Also have plenty of clamps around. I suggest getting the help of a friend to help you glue panels together with larger pieces....it is alot easier to assemble with the extra pair of hands. When trying to build a tank or even a sump....measurement is most crucial...make sure all pieces are precisely in place before applying glue ( when something is off in the beginning it will just make it more difficult later ) Take your time and give each joint time to property dry and set before moving on to the next panel. As far as your current seams I would suggest buy acrylic rods and gluing them into the corners for piece of mind. Keep all surfaces clean before gluing...I even keep a lighter around to heat my syringe bottle tip when I feel the flow is clogging up. The good news is the first few pieces putting together is the most difficult...as the walls start forming and it has structure the last few panels get easier to manage. You tube videos make it look easy and to be honest most anyone can use weld on to fuse a box together but not many can do it and make it look clean. It takes time patience and precision and the more practice u get it will look cleaner and become easier. For example I just finished building a new 8 ft sump for 1000 gallon with alot of chambers.....and it's taken a little over a week to build just because I only been doing a few seams a day to make sure its perfect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store