Building own enclosure questions

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Shortly here I am going to build my own enclosure for my future family member. I have a couple questions that maybe you guys can help with.

The enclosure will be 4ftW x 4ftH x 8ftL

1) if I use a 4ft UV light would I need two 4ft lights to cover the 8ftL or just one in the center?

2) this is maybe more of an experience question. I need to keep the inside @85°f. Should I use one heat radiator bulb or two?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ve never had a set up that big, but I normally have uv in center and heat at one end/center. So I’d do two heat bulbs at least to keep temps up at one end. Then leave one end of the enclosure as the cool side.

What are you going to be getting?

Reactions: twentyleagues

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Planning on a Argentine black and white Tegu.
Pushing this off till next year I think. A few things I need to be able to source locally at a reasonable cost. Like ground whole Turkey with organs. So far the butchers are you have to buy a box of gizzards, hearts, livers, and Turkey's, then grind it all together..... I have no where to store 300lbs of ground Turkey......
And Cyprus mulch...

Reactions: tlindsey and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Those guys look cool.
Haha, that is a lot to accommodate for and sounds messy.
I read they can be house broke. That’s pretty awesome.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Planning on a Argentine black and white Tegu.
Pushing this off till next year I think. A few things I need to be able to source locally at a reasonable cost. Like ground whole Turkey with organs. So far the butchers are you have to buy a box of gizzards, hearts, livers, and Turkey's, then grind it all together..... I have no where to store 300lbs of ground Turkey......
And Cyprus mulch...
Look into superiorraw, it might be cheaper to store a smaller amount

https://www.facebook.com/superiorraw/

someone's review

Reactions: tlindsey

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Looks like you have most the info u need. Tegus are super great reptiles. Pretty much reptilian dogs if treated and "trained" properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store