Bulkhead + silicone = ????

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Good luck. I almost wemt this route a few months ago. Found 2 teflon rolls fixed my leak.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Usually if the rubber ring is in good condition it’s just a matter of tightness.
But if it still leaks there isn’t anything wrong with adding some silicone.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah they were brand new. Yeah the gaskets are on the right side. I kept tightening and never did stop. Had to drain 250g. We will see tomorrow.

Guinness

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
Oak Lawn IL
I've done it. Silicone inside tank. You're using the silicone as a gasket. Put the silicone on, tighten the threads but not all the way down. Let the silicone dry then finish tightening the threads. It makes a perfectly formed soft gasket.

Reactions: twentyleagues

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The inside of my fibreglass tank has minor imperfections in surface flatness so when i fitted my bulkhead i knew i'd need to extra tighten it to give me a proper seal, which isn't always a good thing long term when the threads are plastic. They can fail overtime when overtightened.

So i just hand tightened it as you usually would, with an extra quarter turn, but then added a bead of silicon around the rim where the bulkhead pressed against the fibreglass.

Not as much as a single drip has leaked out.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
I put a lil dab of silicone on both sides of the ring on every one I have ever done.
I've never seen a drop from a bulkhead.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The tightening sequence stated above is crucial IME. If you try to tighetn uncured silicone, the rubber gasket may just slide out altogtehr.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store