Bulkhead thread sealant in tank water this ok?

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Hello i just plumbed this tank yesterday. It has 2 drain bulk heads that are thread times thread. One has a threaded strainer on the inside and threaded 90 on the drain. Other is pluged with a threaded plug on bottom and threaded pipe on the inside above the drain that is being used. Return line has a threaded 90 degree to barbed for tubing. Quistiin is i am noticimg som white peices in the tank it is the thread sealant i used for the bulkhead this sealant is pottabke water safe. Is it ok in the water or do i need to drain amd reseal another way. Has no fish but will have fish saturday thanks

20201020_175127.jpg

20201020_175119.jpg

20201019_160642.jpg

20201019_160142.jpg

20201019_134512.jpg

20201019_114138.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's safe as the contents are inert. The problem is though is that it says it's non hardening, which means that little "bits" could continue to flake off in the water flow. These will look unsightly in your tank and over time, once most has come away from the threads, you may even develop leaks.

All this stuff is is a PTFE based resin (polytetrafluorotethylene). PTFE also comes in a white tape, most refer to it as plumbers tape. You just wind in around the threads and screw your part on. It makes an excellent, long term, flake free seal.

Is it too late for you to get some tape and do it that way?

Reactions: Rocksor

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I use threaded joints on my hard plumbing extensively and I always use Teflon paste thread sealant liberally. I even have that exact brand of Teflon (PTFE) paste as well as the Oatley version of the same stuff. I have never had any problems with it in aquarium plumbing or household plumbing. I have been sealing the threaded connections on my aquariums with Teflon paste for well over 20 years with not one single issue.

If you are getting Teflon floaties in the water you might have gone a bit overboard in how much paste you applied... I definitely would not be in the least bit concerned about it though! Once the excess squeeze out paste is gone you should have no more floaties.

Although it can be a bit messy I like the Teflon paste MUCH better than Teflon tape. I have taken apart threaded fittings that have been married together for 20+ years and they still come apart easily with the Teflon still in a paste form... AND I have never had one leak due to failed Teflon paste! It does NOT harden and it does NOT erode out of the joint over time causing a leak! If Teflon paste was unreliable and problematic I highly doubt they would still be selling it!

P.S. Cool looking tank!

Last edited:
Reactions: esoxlucius

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
It's safe as the contents are inert. The problem is though is that it says it's non hardening, which means that little "bits" could continue to flake off in the water flow. These will look unsightly in your tank and over time, once most has come away from the threads, you may even develop leaks.

All this stuff is is a PTFE based resin (polytetrafluorotethylene). PTFE also comes in a white tape, most refer to it as plumbers tape. You just wind in around the threads and screw your part on. It makes an excellent, long term, flake free seal.

Thanks for the reply i am not worried about it leaking i plumbed my larents hole house, every metal, pvc, and abs threading fitting with this product, 10 years ago no leaks to date. I never use teflon tape for water or gas, allways meaks for me under pressurerized systems.

Reactions: Oughtsix and Zanzag

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona

my responce got cut short. It is not to late to do with tape but i would not ever do that. this stuff never hardens your right and thats whats good about it. Easy to get apart, and never dry cracks or seperates the joints should last for ever that part is not a concern. my main concern would be fish eating the stuff. i know it is potable water safe so it being in the water should not be risky thanks for your reply i appreciate it

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
I use threaded joints on my hard plumbing extensively and I always use Teflon paste thread sealant liberally. I even have that exact brand of Teflon (PTFE) paste as well as the Oatley version of the same stuff. I have never had any problems with it in aquarium plumbing or household plumbing. I have been sealing the threaded connections on my aquariums with Teflon paste for well over 20 years with not one single issue.

If you are getting Teflon floaties in the water you might have gone a bit overboard in how much paste you applied... I definitely would not be in the least bit concerned about it though! Once the excess squeeze out paste is gone you should have no more floaties.

Although it can be a bit messy I like the Teflon paste MUCH better than Teflon tape. I have taken apart threaded fittings that have been married together for 20+ years and they still come apart easily with the Teflon still in a paste form... AND I have never had one leak due to failed Teflon paste! It does NOT harden and it does NOT erode out of the joint over time causing a leak! If Teflon paste was unreliable and problematic I highly doubt they would still be selling it!

P.S. Cool looking tank!

thanks for the reply. Yes i deffenitly put alot on the threads, the floaties are probaully from the very end having it on it, I to have been using this for years in house hold with great results. I have never used thread bulk heads so this was my first go with it on a tank usualy are slip x slip equals tired of cutting and ruing bulkheads to remove them. My main concern was fish eating the stuff forgot to put that part in original post. thanks it is a pretty neat little tank has been a fun little prodject tank.

Reactions: Oughtsix

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I wouldn’t worry about it it should go away in time. I personally always use Teflon tape for any of my aquarium plumbing or house hold plumbing, and have never had any leaks. Any aquarium plumbing is going to be low pressure anyway, so I wouldn’t be concerned using either product. The Teflon tape is just a bit easier and cleaner to use.

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
I wouldn’t worry about it it should go away in time. I personally always use Teflon tape for any of my aquarium plumbing or house hold plumbing, and have never had any leaks. Any aquarium plumbing is going to be low pressure anyway, so I wouldn’t be concerned using either product. The Teflon tape is just a bit easier and cleaner to use.

Tape is for sure less mess, maybe i would not trust on drains. But not return lines. Fine example of my ocd is here. Check valve for the return line came in today. It had tape on the threaded sides was removed and paste applied. Thanks forbyour replie i appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store