C02 injection???

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Just wondering the benefits of c02 injection and a little information on them.

Are they expensive to run?
A pain to setup?
Would you recommend a certain brand?

Thanks in advance

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
CO2 is most definitely worth it under the right circumstances. If you just want plants with your fish then meh, not always worth the capital cost and many plants can grow low tech. However, if you really want your plants to pop and you're growing slightly more demanding species then definitely. I used it on my scape to grow Monte carlo under medium light (12W LED) in my 15 gallon/60 liter tank, this is a year in
1569091534136.png

Now the tank was flooded since April with a 2kg bottle, it cost me +- 3 GBP to fill and it's still running strong. Running cost is low, capital is a much larger issue. My setup (2kg capacity cylinder, dual stage reg and solenoid) was 90 GBP/ $110 second hand. After that it's a breeze. I don't have any specific brands I see used, just make sure to get a quality regulator and solenoid. Extra money worth it for durability and safety. Hope this helps!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Agree with Hendre, really depends on what you are after with the setup? Is it going to be a high tech setup with demanding plants or a low tech with plants such as anubias...

If its a high tech setup it can definitely be worth it (minus the initial setup cost) but for a low tech one i would probably skip it as it may not be worth spending the extra money when the money could be used for extra plants / nicer fish...

Also, if you do decide to get a Co2 setup, you may also want to consider investing in a Drop Checker which will help you monitor your Co2 levels to make sure you are not under / over dosing your tank...

Reactions: tlindsey

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
So the tank in question would be my Channa Pulchra Setup, houses one fish and moderately planted at the moment, there aren’t any demanding species in the tank I’m just looking for more vibrant and healthy looking plants as I’m never really able to achieve these. Water parameters are always perfect so I’m not sure what could be the issue, I have been looking at a Fluval kit which is around £30 online.

I’ll post a picture of the tank and the kit I’m looking at that will give a better perspective of what we’re dealing with.

Thanks

48F823AB-35EE-4927-B298-48338D29D23B.png

D4F841A7-70E4-45C0-BA86-3099253F5E64.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Far2lively Far2lively with planted tanks its not so much about perfect parameters as much as its about giving the plants the nutrients / ferts they need whether its Micro or Macro ferts, iron, potassium or something else...

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Far2lively Far2lively with planted tanks its not so much about perfect parameters as much as its about giving the plants the nutrients / ferts they need whether its Micro or Macro ferts, iron, potassium or something else...
I’m dosing weekly with ferts but doesn’t seem to have much affect, would you recommend any??

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Honestly your plants dont look bad in the photos? Are you noticing something wrong with them making you feel you need more???

Also, what type of ferts are you currently dosing?

Last edited:
Reactions: deeda

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Honestly your plants dont look bad in the photos? Are you noticing something wrong with them making you feel you need more???

That was just after a trim down, I cut all the dead ones off etc and clean them up, just feel that they need something more.

This is what I’m currently using.

C40AE3E5-BB2B-42C6-8922-883F9C2359F4.jpeg

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England

Also does substrate matter? As mine is purely just play sand

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
How many litres is the tank?

Some heavy rooting plants will appreciate some root tab fertilisers, think amazon swords and crypts. Otherwise in low tech it's just a patience game. The only plants that grow crazy for me in low tech are vallisneria and java moss :)

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store