Calcium levels for ramshorn snails

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I just purchased a calcium test kit for my aquarium however I'm still waiting to receive it. It is for saltwater aquariums so what readings should I aim for for a freshwater aquarium to aid in the shell health for ramshorn snails?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I just purchased a calcium test kit for my aquarium however I'm still waiting to receive it. It is for saltwater aquariums so what readings should I aim for for a freshwater aquarium to aid in the shell health for ramshorn snails?
Look for a higher ph 7.6-7.8) and dGH of 10. That’s about 50ppm of calcium I believe. Think that’s the average for most snails.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Look for a higher ph 7.6-7.8) and dGH of 10. That’s about 50ppm of calcium I believe. Think that’s the average for most snails.
I appreciate the information. The pH has been on point then but I'm not sure on hardness yet. I noticed some wear on the shells and started adding API calcium to the tank once a week but I can't tell if it is making a difference. I've had cuttlebone in the take but I never see them on it. The mystery snails in my other tank are on it often but none of the ramshorns seem to bother with it. I'll have to wait until the test comes in to know if it's at the proper hardness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store