Calling All Dog and Cat owners...which flea and tick treatment do you prefer?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Up til now I have been using Frontline for the dog but today when I went to purchase some more I noticed another brand called Pet Armour.It costs the same as Frontline but has twice the number of treatments and per the label,it has the same ingredients so I switched up and bought it.
I use a basic flea collar for our cat which serms to work well enough as long as he keeps it on.
So what do you all use to protect your canines and felines?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
frontline works very well for ticks. really doesn't cut it for fleas anymore. Honestly most prescription flea and tick will be better then over the counter. That being said bayer makes the advantix line and they work really well. I am not sure what their top of the line is now

if you are going flea collar without question the best one is seresto. This can be bought through amazon at really good prices.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
frontline works very well for ticks. really doesn't cut it for fleas anymore. Honestly most prescription flea and tick will be better then over the counter. That being said bayer makes the advantix line and they work really well. I am not sure what their top of the line is now

if you are going flea collar without question the best one is seresto. This can be bought through amazon at really good prices.
I have seen tv commercials for Seresto and I saw it on display at Walmart when I was there.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The best I found that worked good was revaluation. It's a prescription but you can buy the generic form online.
Never heard of that one.I might look into it.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
So,it's not labeled for ticks but it is good for getting rid of them just the same?
its not labeled for ticks though off label (meaning not what it has been approved for) it does an ok job. Being that you are around philly I would use a reputable product labeled for ticks. With the last couple winters being very warm the number of ticks out there keeps on going way up

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
No cats for me.
For the dog we use Trifexis year round it's good for heart worms, hook worms, round worm, whip worm and fleas.
Then in the summer only we use Bravecto it's good for fleas and ticks.
Yeah we kind of double up on the fleas through the summer but it's done thru our vet and according to him it's fine.
But if your only concern is fleas and ticks you could just do the bravecto i suppose.
It does cost a little more to dose with a pill but I have never seen a flea or tick on our dog. Not once
She's a four year old Jack russell BTW.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store